Ward Week to bring 'revolutionary' programming to AU

Dive-in Movie and other events planned for the week

The theme of this year’s Artemas Ward Week, “Revolutionize the Battle,” is meant to revive the tradition of friendly competition in the AU community, according to Student Government Vice President Maia Tagami.

Tagami said Ward Week, which started Monday and will continue until Saturday, is a way to bring the whole campus community together.

Co-sponsors for Ward Week include the Residence Hall Association, the Inter-fraternity Council and Alpha Phi Omega, the community service fraternity on campus.

“This week is centered around this concept of ‘revolutionize the battle’ — changing the whole concept of what a battle is into friendly competitions that are going to inspire more campus unity and bring people together,” Tagami said.

“We’re doing a lot of revolutionary programming,” she said. “We’re really breaking from some of the programming that has been done in the past.”

Tagami is most excited for the Dive-In Movie event on Tuesday. The event coordinators will have inflatable sharks and floaties in the pool as students watch the movie.

“I would make sure to attend the dive-in movie, just because it’s something that we’ve never done on our campus before,” Tagami said, “It’s going to be a lot of fun and can bring everyone together with a classic movie.”

Overall, the week will be an exciting affair that focuses on the values of friendly competition and school spirit, Tagami said.

“The whole week is a really great week,” Tagami said. “I’m excited to see the diversity in programming and the fact that it’s different from things that we’ve done in the past.”

amooney@theeagleonline.com