Volleyball extends their win streak to four straight

Waterman leads team to victory over Stony Brook with 15 kills

The AU volleyball team expanded its win streak to four straight matches after defeating the Stony Brook University Seawolves in straight sets Sunday.

AU won the sets 25-22, 25-13 and 25-23.

“We came into this match thinking about all the goals we wanted to do and this game was a chance to prepare for our conference matches coming up in the next weeks,” senior outside hitter Angelina Waterman said. “So definitely my motivation was to just prepare myself for those games.”

The victory against Stony Brook was a little more special for Waterman, who grew up in Queens, N.Y., just a short drive away from Stony Brook.

“It’s always interesting and fun, playing a New York team,” Waterman said. “Being from New York, I always want to show off my skills against a team which is close to my home.”

Waterman led the Eagles with 15 kills in 30 total attempts. The Eagles also had 13 kills from senior outside hitter Magdalena Tekiel, five kills from sophomore middle blocker Bianca Richardson and senior right side hitter Cassandra Ricketts. Waterman also led the team with 15 digs, while senior defensive specialist Debora Frantz contributed 14 digs.

The Eagles controlled each set of the game. Early on, the first set was fairly balanced with both teams exchanging points. The Eagles went on a five point run which gave them breathing room for the rest of the match. Stony Brook had a couple of small runs but not enough to catch up with the Eagles. In the second set, AU took over with runs of four and five points. Stony Brook was unable to catch up and AU won the set by 12 points.

“Our outsides were on fire we were able to run the middle, the passing was up, we kept the tempo up and everything was on fire,” senior Alexandra Hammer said. “When our momentum is up, everyone is positive and it shows in our play.”

The third set was the closest of all the sets. The set began with both sides trading points. AU began to separate from Stony Brook and at one point the Eagles had a 20-13 lead against the Seawolves. Stony Brook made a late run to cut the deficit to one point, but the Eagles put the match away.

The win improves AU to 10-2. The Eagles are currently on a four game winning streak. By beating Stony Brook in three straight sets, it marks the eighth time this season that the Eagles have won in straight sets.

AU plays their next game at home against Loyola University-Maryland before they open their conference schedule with away games at Bucknell University and Colgate University.