SOAK UP THE SUN — Students battle during a water fight using water guns and 1,000 biodegradable balloons on the quad Wednesday as part of Artemas Ward Week’s festivities.

Revitalized Ward Week makes 'splash' with revolutionzed events

This year’s Artemas Ward Week was successful in bringing together the AU community with the theme, “Revolutionize the Battle,” taking the week to a larger scale than in the past, Student Government Vice President Maia Tagami said.

Jenny Kim, the director of events, was in charge of planning Ward Week. She said she was glad with the turnout for the events.

The Dive-In movie event on Tuesday and the Ultimate Frisbee game on Wednesday were new to Ward Week and brought students out in large numbers to participate during the week, Kim said.

The Dive-In movie event brought over 50 people to the Bender pool to watch the movie “Jaws,” Kim said.

At the Ultimate Frisbee game on Wednesday a cape-clad SG President Nate Bronstein handed out Frisbees.

The State Radio concert on Saturday was also a well-attended, fun event, according to Kim.

“I had never heard of [the band] before, but they were absolutely mind-blowing,” Kim said.

Tagami, who was in charge of organizing Ward Week, was pleased with the community’s reception of the week.

“I’m very happy with the way everything turned out,” Tagami said. “I personally had a lot of fun and got a lot of positive feedback from students throughout the week, which is the best feeling that you can get.”

This year’s Ward Week was intended to be an improvement on last year’s Ward Week, which was criticized by some as being poorly publicized and organized, The Eagle previously reported.

Last year’s Ward Week organizers also dealt with a last-minute cancellation of a Caribbean Circle event.

Alex Prescott, last year’s SG vice president and 2010 alumnus of the School of Communication, said that despite the cancellation, 2009 Ward Week was largely successful in comparison to 2008 Ward Week, when three events were canceled the day of the event, Prescott said.

“It was a successful week,” Prescott said. “There were no huge-scale events. That’s just how we budgeted it. We consider it a step forward from the previous year where they had a lot of events canceled.”

Prescott is pleased with the work of the SG this year to make Ward Week as successful as it can be.

“I’m very proud of what they are doing looking at it at a perspective of three years back. I’m happy to see the progress that has been made,” Prescott said.

amooney@theeagleonline.com