Greeks look to gain voice on Conduct Board

Correction Appended

The AU greek community is hoping to add a representative to the Student Conduct Advisory Board in an effort to ensure the greek community has a voice regarding conduct policies, according to Adam Tager, president of the Inter-Fraternity Council.

Tager wants a greek representative to start sitting on the council this spring semester, so that they can be part of discussions regarding policy changes for next year.

Students in the greek community want to have an impact on current and future policies and contribute their experience with neighborhood relations to the council, Tager said.

He also noted that the greek community comprises approximately 18.5 percent of the undergraduate student body.

Tager plans to speak with Rosie McSweeney, director of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution Services, about adding a greek representative to the conduct board after Tuesday’s meeting.

McSweeney said she is not aware of this initiative and declined to comment.

Student Government President Nate Bronstein has endorsed Tager’s initiative for a representative.

Katie Schweitzer, president of the Panhellenic Council, feels this is an important step for greek life-community relations.

“I hope having a member of greek life on the board will ensure that members of the fraternity and sorority community are taken into consideration when policies are made,” Schweitzer said.

Schweitzer hopes having a greek representative on the board will make the relationship between the SG and greek life stronger.

Schweitzer believes it is always important for students to be well represented on the conduct board.

It is especially important to ensure that a student voice is presenting the greek life perspective, she said.

A town hall meeting to discuss changes in the Student Conduct Code will take place on Sept. 29 from 8:30 to 10 p.m. in Ward 2.

Tager hopes this meeting will show that the greek community has a unique and productive point of view that would be beneficial for the Conduct Advisory Board.

Tager will be moderating the Town Hall meeting. Panelists will include McSweeney, Director of Public Safety Michael McNair, Assistant Director of the Student Advocacy Center Matt Kabak and IFC Vice President Carter Gibson representing the undergraduate greek community.

ascalamogna@theeagleonline.com

Correction: An earlier version of this article stated the town hall meeting will take place Sept. 28. The meeting will take place Sept. 29. This version has been corrected.