Board of Trustees discuss wonks, campus plan and ANewAU

The Board of Trustees assembled Thursday and Friday for their annual orientation and meeting. Chairman Gary Abramson met with The Eagle to talk about what the Board discussed during the closed session and what they plan to do this year.

The University Budget Committee was formed at last week’s Board of Trustees meetings. They will finalize the University’s budget for fiscal years 2012 and 2013 by February.

Co-chairs:

• Scott Bass — Provost
  • Donald Myers — Vice President of Finance Treasurer

Members:

• Daniel Mullins — Chair of the Committee on Academic Budget and Benefits, Faculty Senate and Associate Professor in the School of Public Affairs
  • John Douglass — Associate Professor in the School of Communication
  • Victoria Connaughton — Associate Professor in the College of Arts and Sciences Biology Department
  • Stephen Silvia — Associate Professor in the School of International Service
  • Douglas M. Hale — Vice Chair of the School of International Service Graduate Leadership Council
  • Khalid Khalid — Assistant Dean in the Washington College of Law
  • Gail Hanson — Vice President of Campus Life
  • Kamalika Sandell — Senior Director of Enterprise Systems, IT
  • Wayne Wright — Staff Council representative of Facilities Management

Resource Persons:

• Nana An — Executive Director of Budget and Payroll
  • Violeta Ettle — Associate Provost for Administration
  • Karen Froslid Jones — Director of the Office of Institutional Research & Assessment

SOURCE: University Communications.

• The Office of Development reported that the AnewAU goal of $200 million has been surpassed, and contributions currently stand at over $206 million.

• The University recently hired architectural firm Little Diversified to design the proposed East Campus on the Nebraska parking lot. An architect has not yet been hired for the Tenley Campus construction, which will turn that campus into the Washington College of Law.

• Student Government President Nate Bronstein briefed the Board on the “A Voice 4 U” campaign. Abramson said he was very impressed with the creativity of the initiative.

• Director of Sustainability Chris O’Brien presented the University’s carbon neutral plan to the Board and discussed the possibility of putting photovoltaic solar panels on certain buildings.

• The Board saw a preview of the new Katzen Welcome Center, a place for prospective students to begin their tours of AU. • University Librarian Bill Mayer presented changes to the library, including major customer service improvements.

• University Communications and Marketing Executive Director Teresa Flannery presented the wonk campaign to the Board. They discussed Friday’s front-page Washington Post story on the campaign. Abramson said the campaign is still in its early stages. “We’re letting everybody acclimate to it,” he said.

• The School of Communication is currently looking for donors to make the McKinley Building into SOC’s new home. Abramson said this is the last building on campus that needs to be completely re-done.

• The University Budget Committee, chaired by Vice President of Finance Donald Myers and Provost Scott Bass, will begin its work on the two-year budget. The Board will see suggested guidelines at its November meeting, and the specifics will be presented at the February meeting.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com