Senators discuss proposed Blue Crew-SG merger at year's first meeting

A possible merger of the AU Blue Crew and the Student Government’s Department of Unity and Spirit was discussed Aug. 29 at the fall semester's first meeting of the Undergraduate Senate.

The merger would help create a more centralized entity to support school spirit.

Other issues discussed included CIVITAS Week and the upcoming Kennedy Political Union speakers.

The Department of Unity and Spirit was not effective because its purpose was the same as the Blue Crew, but it carried it out with less success, SG President Nate Bronstein said.

AU Athletics first suggested making the Blue Crew a part of the SG, according to Bronstein. The idea was that they would have the structure of Student Government and the backing of Athletics in the name of Blue Crew.

This merging initiative is still in development, but Bronstein said AU Athletics is interested in moving forward with the proposal.

Bronstein encouraged further SG improvements by acknowledging problems from the past.

“Last year, [The SG] dealt with a number of different things, including a suspension hearing, an impeachment hearing, and some breakdowns, both external and internal, in coordination,” he said. “We have some very important initiatives for the upcoming year.”

CIVITAS

SG Vice President Maia Tagami spoke about the upcoming CIVITAS Week, Sept. 7-11. With the catchphrase, “It Starts Here,” CIVITAS Week is about promoting civility and citizenship on campus and empowering students to take goodwill out into the community, Tagami said.

Josh Levitt, the director of Kennedy Political Union, announced that Chris Matthews, the host of “Hardball with Chris Matthews” on MSNBC, will be the first speaker coming to campus this year. Matthews will be speaking in Bender Arena Sept. 7.

“I really think people will be excited about the programming we have for this year,” Levitt said.

In closing remarks, Bronstein expressed his hopes for the Senate this year.

“We have so much talent sitting in this room right now,” Bronstein said. “I’ve seen it in the summer. I’ve seen it in the few days working with the undergraduate senators, as well. We’re gonna be great not because of the individuals but because of the team we form around them.”

amooney@theeagleonline.com