New website lets you 'bet' on grades

Think you can score an easy A or two this semester? Why don’t you put your money where your mouth is with Ultrinsic.com, a website where you gamble on your grades.

AU recently joined the table, along with Howard University, George Washington University and Georgetown University, to be one of 36 schools that participate in this monetary motivation.

You upload your schedule, provide access to your school records and Ultrinsic analyzes the odds you will get a certain grade, with higher rewards for higher grades.

Students who participate can choose their target grade and their cash incentive. The higher the reward, the higher the amount they must wager on the grade.

For example, if a student wants to win $100 for an A, he or she wagers $10, and Ultrinsic puts in $90. If the student gets the A, a $100 check is in the mail. If he or she gets a B or lower, the student loses the original $10.

But you can also buy grade insurance that still pays out if you get a bad grade.

Freshmen can hit it big with Ultrinsic. They can bet $20 they will graduate with a 4.0 GPA. If they succeed, they will get $2,000 upon completing college.

Some questions have been raised about the legality of this website, with some people calling it illegal online gambling, but no action has been taken to challenge it yet, according to TIME Magazine.