Mark these on your calendar: D.C. and AU events for this year

Every AU student knows that there are a few events that can't be missed this school year. Here are some of them:

Sept. 6-11 – CIVITAS Week There's no better way to learn how to become a part of the AU student body than CIVITAS week. In past CIVITAS weeks, AU students have learned how to be more respectful and civil to each other through workshops, social events, a Wellness Fair and a prominent keynote speaker. The Kennedy Political Union will be bringing “Hardball” host Chris Matthews to speak on Sept. 7th. Later in the year, look for KPU to bring in a big-time former presidential candidate.

Sept. 19-25 – Artemas Ward Week – The SG coordinates this annual week of fun in honor of Revolutionary War hero Artemas Ward, whose statue stands in the center of Ward Circle. Past Ward Week events have included a movie screening from the Student Union Board, panels and speakers from various student groups and a closing celebration on the quad.

Oct. 2 – AIDS Walk Washington – The AU community has always had a large presence in this five-kilometer walk on Pennsylvania Avenue. AU students and student groups often form teams and, in past years, have come in the top 10 for fundraising. Money raised during the walk benefits the HIV/AIDS programs of Whitman-Walker Clinic, according to the AIDS Walk Washington website.

Oct. 5 – Breastival – Women's Initiative will sponsor their fifth annual festival to educate students about breast cancer and other women's health issues. Past Breastivals have included information booths as well as games, food and various freebies.

Nov. 9 – Women's Initiative Dance Marathon – This dance marathon, sponsored by Women's Initiative, will raise money for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, according to Women's Initiative Director Quinn Pregliasco. The entire campus community is invited to come together and dance the night away for a good cause.

Nov. 15 – Elton John Charity Tennis Event – Music megastar Elton John and tennis legend Billie Jean King have chosen AU's Bender Arena as the site of their 18th annual World Team Tennis Smash Hits charity event, according to the World Team Tennis website. John and King will each captain teams composed of tennis champions such as Andre Agassi, Anna Kournikova and Stefanie Graf. Money raised from the event will go to local D.C. AIDS charities and the Elton John AIDS Foundation.

March – Greek Week – If you choose to go Greek, don't miss this week of friendly competition. Sororities and fraternities band together in teams to compete and earn points. Last year the team with the most points at the end of Greek Week took home $1,000 to donate to their favorite charities.

April 11 – Take Back the Night – Over 400 people turned out last year for a night of protest and remembrance of sexual assault. The event, sponsored by Women's Initiative, usually starts with a march and is followed by a forum in which participants can tell their personal stories.

April – Relay for Life – After weeks of fundraising, the AU community comes together at this all-night event to enjoy food, entertainment and music. The Relay for Life committee raised over $48,000 at last year's event.

April – SUB End of the Year Concert – The Student Union Board gives a final send-off to AU students with a big-name artist in Bender Arena. Past concerts have included Thirty Seconds to Mars, Jimmy Eat World and Bob Dylan.

jryan@theeagleonline.com