NERD ALERT – Some of the most notable rock and hip-hop acts today were never music majors. From the bookish Vampire Weekend to the politically aware Kidz in the Hall, textbooks have served instead of lyric sheets in the education for many hitmakers.

Is there a rock star in your class?

Sitting in class here at AU, it’s not hard to imagine that some of your fellow students will one day be famous. From a major news network anchor to the next President of the United States, the AU “wonks” will one day take over various aspects of life. Years from now, you’ll turn on the TV and suddenly have a “Hey, I know that kid!” moment.

Politicians, news personalities, do-gooders, sure — but rock stars? Rock stars love sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, not sitting in class, right? Not necessarily. That kid sitting next to you in class, regardless of whether he or she is majoring in music, may one day be a famous musician. In fact, some of the great musicians of contemporary rock and hip-hop were true wonks — nerds first and foremost, with a bent for great music.

Jim Morrison, The Doors

When looking through rock history for examples of wonkery, it would be a shame to leave out the great Jim Morrison. The Doors’ front man graduated UCLA in 1965, the same year The Doors were officially formed. The future rock star focused on film and theater in school before going on to become a member of one of the most influential rock bands in history. A self-styled poet, Morrison crafted lyrics that stuck in the mind, even if they weren’t always understandable. It just goes to show, you don’t always enter the field you majored in while in college.

Rivers Cuomo, Weezer

Rivers Cuomo, lead singer of Weezer, is one of the most prominent examples of an educated musician. The man wears his nerd-cred like a badge, and it works for him — who can forget his ode to girls who “shred the cello?” Cuomo graduated Harvard Phi Beta Kappa before going on to form Weezer in 1992. The band has had a slew of hit records and singles, and has a new album dropping in September. The new LP, named “Hurley” after the “Lost” character, is sure to be another victory for geeks everywhere — even if fans may debate its place in the canon of Weezer’s greatest works.

Vampire Weekend

Vampire Weekend is a case study of what happens when a whole bunch of smarties get bored between classes and form a band that somehow, despite the odds, takes off. Ezra Koenig, Rostam Batmanglij, Chris Tomson and Chris Baio formed Vampire Weekend in the mid-2000s while all the members of the quartet were attending Columbia University. Two hit albums later, these guys still seem as nerdy as ever. Their music videos are often off the beaten path, whether it be for “Oxford Comma,” which is one long pan across a number of dramatic scenes for the entire length of the song, or “Giving up the Gun,” a film that features odd cameos from Jake Gyllenhaal and Lil’ Jon on a white tennis court.

Chester French

Like Vampire Weekend, D.A. Wallach and Maxwell Drummey, the members of Chester French, met while attending college (in their case, Harvard). Even the band’s name is enough to convince listeners of their intelligence (it takes its title from Daniel Chester French, a sculptor responsible for the Lincoln Memorial, among other famous works). But these nerds are down with Diddy and are slowly but surely making a name for themselves in the indie-rock alternative-hip-hop scene. Although no date has been set, the two are currently working on their second album.

Kidz in the Hall

Another educated duo dabbling in the world of hip-hop is Kidz in the Hall, made up of Naledge (pronounced “knowledge,” course) and Double-0. The University of Pennsylvania grads met during a talent show back in 2000 and began their collaboration. Three studio albums later, the Chicago-based rappers have done everything from performing at Lollapalooza to campaigning for President Barack Obama.

So come on, fellow AU students; we’re smart, let’s get a band up in here! It’d be nice to have some new, fresh talent on campus, and who knows, maybe it’s in you (name it “The Wonk” ... or not). And hey, new students, make sure to say hi to your neighbors in the dorms and classes: who knows? Maybe they’ll be the next big thing.

mhollander@theeagleonline.com