AU provides Janney School with 44 parking spots at no charge

Updated September 1 at 1:02 p.m.

AU will offer Janney Elementary School teachers parking spots in the Tenley and Nebraska parking lots starting Monday, as the school undergoes construction for the next year, according to Penny Pagano, the director of community and local government relations.

Parking spots in the Tenley and Nebraska lots will be available to teachers at the Janney Elementary School on Albemarle Street for the next year, as the school undergoes a “full modernization,” according to AU officials.

In an agreement with AU, teachers will use four spots on the Tenley Campus and 40 spots in the Nebraska lot during the construction project, Pagano said.

The teachers will also be able to use the AU shuttle to get closer to the school, located at 4130 Albemarle St. NW. Janney students will also use the field on the Tenley Campus for their physical education classes and recess.

Construction to Janney includes an addition to the existing building and general renovations, Janney Principal Norah Lycknell said. The school is built for 360 students but is currently fitting approximately 500.

“The facilities have not been renovated for decades,” Lycknell said. There is currently only one bathroom per gender.

Lycknell estimates the construction costs around $20 million and said the money is pooled across the D.C. public schools’ entire budget.

The agreement lasts for a year at no charge to Janney, with the option to extend, depending on how long the renovations take.

“We’re all part of one community,” Pagano said. “It’s important that we work together and share our resources if we can.”

Lycknell said construction is supposed to conclude by August 2011.

The teachers will have parking stickers to display on their dashboards, she said. They have been allocated spots in the back of the Nebraska parking lot, on the Massachusetts Avenue side.

Representatives from Janney did not return comments by posting time.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com