Tennis stars, Elton John to come to Bender in November

Tennis champions Andre Agassi, Anna Kournikova, Stefanie Graf and others will play in AU’s very own Bender Arena Nov. 15, according to the World TeamTennis website. Oh, and the teams will be captained by Elton John and Billie Jean King.

The music star and tennis athletes are convening at AU this fall for the 18th annual World TeamTennis Smash Hits charity event that will raise money for the Elton John Aids Foundation and some local D.C. AIDS charities.

Tickets can be acquired by filling out a form on the WTT website. The price of tickets has not been decided yet, according to Rosie Crews, vice president of World TeamTennis communications.

The team organizing the fundraiser will decide ticket prices in the next couple of weeks, according to Crews.

“There will probably be student specials offered,” she said.

WTT looked at two or three other venues in the D.C. area to decide where to hold the event, and AU was “a good fit” for the spaces that were needed, Crews said.

Last year, the event was held in Baton Rouge, La., and Serena Williams, Tommy Haas, Anna Kournikova and Andy Roddick were a few of the participants. The 2009 event raised a total of $640,000 for the EJAF and Baton Rouge AIDS charities.

More on this story as it develops.

You can reach this staff writer at mfowler@theeagleonline.com.