Zeta Psi charters

AU fraternity colony Zeta Psi will receive a charter from its national organization this Saturday, according to Coordinator of Greek Life Curtis Burrill.

In spring 2009, the now-Zetes met with representatives from its International Headquarters to discuss forming an interest group, and they were soon given colony status, said Zete President Matt Carnovale.

A colony is an organization that has to fulfill its parent fraternity’s requirements in order to become an official campus chapter. Zeta Psi fulfilled these obligations, fulfilled participation requirements and obtained chartering approval from its national headquarters this semester, he said in an e-mail.

“Up until this point all the brothers in our chapter were considered pledges, but soon we will be learning the full traditions of Zeta Psi and become formal members of the Zeta Psi Fraternity,” Carnovale said.

The D.C. Elders, a regional organization for “elder” Zetes, will be holding a black tie event on Saturday as a chartering celebration.

“The banquet is a formal event held every year ... Before the formal banquet, brothers will engage in a leadership training seminar to help run our chapter into the future,” he said.

After receiving their charter, Zeta Psi brothers will become voting members of the Inter-fraternity Council this fall, according to Burrill.

—SARAH RUDNICK