'Kidz in the Hall' sing political messages at 9:30 club

Ten years ago, Double-O and Naledge met by chance while studying at the University of Pennsylvania. Now, one decade later, this duo of Ivy League graduates have released their third full-length album together under the name Kidz in the Hall, and they’re ready to take over the world of hip-hop.

In an interview with The Eagle, Double-O discussed his views on health care, education and, of course, music.

During President Barack Obama’s campaign for president in 2007, the duo wrote a song in support of the Democratic candidate entitled “Work To Do.” Double-O, however, isn’t an uncritical supporter of the president. For example, he thinks the health care bill did not go as far as it should have.

“I think that something needed to happen,” he said. “I still have a bit of an issue with that fact that there isn’t universal health care. Because for me, being an artist, we don’t have health care unless we pay for it out of our pocket; it’s not subsidized in any way we can afford it. So, you know, that was my biggest gripe.”

Double-O hasn’t yet found time to look over the whole bill — although he plans to in the near future — but considering he just got back from SXSW, who could blame him? This year, he said, the festival was particularly great.

“It was very, very dope,” he said. “It’s the thing that sets up the rest of the year. For some artists, it’s a make-or-break thing. This is our fourth year now, so we were definitely able to put together, like, two dope showcases.”

Their third album, released on March 9, also kept Kidz in the Hall busy.

“I feel like we kinda hit a stride with how we make music,” Double-O said.

The album, entitled “Land of Make Believe,” features a variety of tracks that are all unique to Kidz in the Hall. “Jukebox,” the first single, is a more than just a club-banger; it layers and mixes sounds in a way not many hip-hop artists are currently doing.

While some songs, such as “Flickin’,” dip into the auto-tuned world of modern-day hip-hop, a track like “L-O-V-E” has more of classic feel, perfect for cruising with the windows down.

The final song on the album, “Rise & Shine,” hints at the direction that Kidz are moving in. It’s a reflective piece, and allows the rap to be the focus of the verses while adding in strong instrumentals in the chorus.

“The way that our albums kinda roll, that I arrange them, is the last track is kinda a precursor to what the next album is gonna be,” Double-O said.

Just a few weeks after the release, the hip-hop duo are already thinking about the future.

“We’re not going anywhere, and we’re only getting bigger and better,” he said. “I think that this album has hopefully separated us from the pack, so now it’s just about really driving it home with the next album.”

Two “public school kids who never thought about going to an Ivy League school,” according to Double-O, he and Naledge bring a different perspective to the hip-hop world.

According to Double-O, it is their roots that make Kidz in the Hall unique. Well, that and his “beautiful” hair, which he considers to be “the third member” of their group.

“That journey is always what’s going to make us different than everyone else,” Double-O said. “And the fact that we aren’t afraid to be douchebags at times. We’re not malicious douchebags. We still very much care about our surroundings and the people that we deal with, and it’s an interesting thing trying to find our balance at times.”

Ten years after they first found each other, he remembers the importance of making connections in college.

“You never know what alumni, you never know what student or friend or associate that you’re working with is gonna kinda end up being helpful to you and vice versa later on,” he said. “So it’s really about making those connections and really just being a lot more social than sometimes people want you to be because they’re busting your ass to get a good GPA.”

Kidz in the Hall’s new album “Land of Make Believe” is in stores now, and they will be playing the 9:30 club on April 18.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.