TAKING THE REINS — After an eventful campaign, Nate Bronstein wins the Student Government presidency. With a turnout of 1,914 student votes, this election showed an increase of nearly 500 participants from last year. Bronstein said he was ‘absolutely ecstatic’ about his victory, and he looks forward to starting his administration.

Bronstein takes the SG presidency

NICOLE GLASS / THE EAGLE

Visit this post to see the full election results.

Bronstein said he is overjoyed about his win.

“I’m absolutely ecstatic,” Bronstein said. “I have the weight of the world on my shoulders right now, but I am on cloud nine.”

Bronstein added that he hopes the election results will not cause too much conflict between the presidential candidates. He said that while it was a hard race to win, he hopes all of the candidates can still be on friendly terms after the elections.

Anthony Dunham came in second place with 448 votes and 25.4 percent of the vote.

Click for full graphic.

Nirvana Habash, who ran a write-in campaign, said she is not really surprised about her loss. Habash also said she will make a decision about an appeal in the next few days, but for right now she does not want to take anything away from the post-election celebrations.

“For right now, I want everyone to be able to celebrate and just be really proud of what they did,” Habash said. “I think that in the days to come we’ll probably have a lot more to say about exactly what happened tonight. But everyone did a really good job, and I’m really proud.”

Habash came in third with 418 votes and 23 percent of the vote. Dustin Baker, a write-in candidate, came in fourth with 148 votes and 8 percent of the vote. Seth Rosenstein came in fifth with 94 votes and 5.33 percent of the vote.

According to Board of Elections Chair Bikram Kohli, 1,914 students voted in this election.

Other newly elected SG executives include Vice President-elect Maia Tagami with 425 votes, Secretary-elect Kent Hiebel 783 votes and Comptroller-elect Ed Levandoski, who was the only candidate running in his category.

The class president-elects are Amanda Krause for the Class of 2011, Lauren Marolda for Class of 2012, and Jack Acland for Class of 2013.

Current SG president Andy MacCracken, who endorsed Bronstein, is excited for next year.

“We’re going to build a very solid foundation together for next year,” he said. “There are definitely a lot of things that I’ll have to teach him, so I’ll be working very closely with him.”

Dunham said that while he is upset about his loss, he feels that his campaign was run effectively.

“I feel good that I was able to run a completely clean campaign — no drama, no violations, none of the ‘achy-ness’ that weighed the other campaigns down. So I can hold my head up high about the job that I have done.”

Vice President-elect Maia Tagami said she is looking forward to her new role as SG vice president.

“I’m really excited and honored to be elected,” Tagami said. “I’m looking forward to working with the SG and I’m excited to get started with new projects.”

Vice presidential candidate Jeremiah Headon said he is dismayed about his loss.

“All I can say is, ‘darn,’” Headen said. “It was a close race all around. But I look forward to seeing what [Tagami] does as vice president.”

Staff writers Meg Fowler and Nicole Glass contributed to this report.

You can reach this staff writer at jryan@theeagleonline.com.