An open letter to the Class of 2014

Accepted students for the class of 2014: congratulations! You’ve finally completed your college application process and are now faced with the equally daunting prospect of making your choice.

I think it is important to remind our readers, especially any prospective students out there, that there is a reason why we are all here and write such passionate columns: we all love American.

By no means am I an official university-approved AU ambassador, but over the last few months I’ve come to love this university and the opportunities it offers students. Here are my reasons to join the class of 2014.

The quad: Most of the academic buildings on campus, as well as the Mary Graydon Center, the home of the Terrace Dining Room, are located on the quad. AU is a small campus, with the quad at the very heart. When the weather is warm, AU students like to eat lunch in the shade, play a pickup game of Frisbee or serenade the passersby with their guitars.

Internships: Unsurprisingly, D.C.’s many governmental organizations, non-profits and local businesses offer internships to suit any and every interest. AU’s Career Center is always available to assist you with the process, as are seasoned upperclassmen that have been through the process themselves. It is even possible to get academic credit or find a paid internship.

Community: Whether you get involved in a club, greek life or an academic program, such as the SPA Leadership Program, you are sure to find your own niche at American. There are hundreds of ways to get involved on campus, and opportunities exist for people of all interests, beliefs and personalities. It is common knowledge that you are more likely to transition well to college life if you find a group of friends with whom you share a common bond.

D.C.: To live in Washington, D.C., is to live in the political center of the universe. Not to mention, it has some pretty cool cultural and historical things to offer too. The Smithsonian Institution is an incredible resource, from Air and Space to Natural History; you could spend your four years here just perusing the D.C. museums’ vast collections. The Library of Congress is also a wonderful place to visit. Not only is it incredibly beautiful, with a library card, you can study in the reading room and access the library’s collection of books, microfilm and manuscripts.

Study Abroad: American has a fantastic study abroad program. From Argentina to New Zealand, you are sure to find a program that suits your interests and works with your academic schedule. You can also rest assured that you will have advisers along the way to guide you throughout the process.

The Dav: AU’s beloved coffee shop will be relocated to the new SIS building by the time the class of 2014 steps foot on campus, but it is supposed to be even bigger and better than the current one. The Dav is a great place to study or grab a cup of coffee and is reason enough in itself to choose AU.

Best of luck to the class of 2014. We hope to see you next year.

Erin Cady is a freshman in the School of Public Affairs and an AU affairs columnist for the The Eagle. You can reach her at edpage@theeagleonline.com.