Team USA hockey features young stars

With the NHL breaking for the Olympics, there is only one thing to focus on: Team USA’s underdog bid for the gold medal in Vancouver at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games.

Many say there is no reason for anyone to get really thrilled about the United States’ chances at first place, but they are mistaken. Of course Team Canada, Team Russia and Team Sweden are the favorites to win the gold medal, but the red, white and blue have put together a very young, very fast and highly-skilled team.

The strength of this team is clearly in the net. In fact, they have one of the best goalie tandems in the Olympics and it begs the question: can a team play three goalies on the ice at the same time? Of course the answer is no, but with Ryan Miller, Tim Thomas and Jonathan Quick on the roster it is worth a try.

A current Buffalo Sabre, Miller is the clear-cut best goalie on the roster. Quick may have more wins in the NHL this year, but Miller has a pristine .930 save percentage, tied for first in the league. At first, last year’s Vezina Trophy winner Tim Thomas looked like he may take the starting spot, but he has had a less than stellar regular season. Thomas only has 13 wins on the season and has a .915 save percentage. They are not poor numbers by any stretch, but they just are not as good as Millers. As for Quick, he is really just along for the ride as an emergency goalie. At 24 years old he certainly has time to blossom into an Olympic starter of the future.

Looking past the goaltenders, one of the biggest positives of the team is its average age. Unlike 2006’s team, the average age of the team is 26.5 years. The oldest player on the team is defender Brian Rafalski at 36 years old, while the youngest is perhaps USA’s best player Patrick Kane at 21 years old. Their youth is what gives them the speed that is often required to have a long run in international competition. While this team is not trying to repeat the “Miracle on Ice,” the two teams are both similar in the idea that they are young and have the ability to play a full 60 minutes of hockey.

If scoring is something Americans are worried about, they need to look at just five of the forwards to calm their nerves. Joe Pavelski, Kane, Ryan Kesler, Dustin Brown and Bobby Ryan have a combined total of 241 points this NHL season. Scoring will not be a problem, but the United States’ team must play its game. Sure, 241 points is a lot, but Team USA is not necessarily a finesse team. Skilled passes and shots will win games for them not fancy moves and trick shots, like the Russians specialize in.

Perhaps the weakest part of the team is on the blue line. The defense is a compilation of young and old, champions and new comers. Look for Ryan Whitney and Tim Gleason to anchor the back check and often lead the rush up ice. Success often hinges on a team’s ability to move the puck up the ice and they have the talent to do that, but whether they will be able to do that is another story.

Among the blue liners are Rafalski and Brooks Orpik. The two of them are no strangers to pressure situations and championship play. Both of them have played in the last two Stanley Cup Finals, each winning the cup once. Their age brings concern of whether or not their legs will be able to last the long Olympic tournament. If they can withstand the demanding play, they will certainly be assets for Team USA.

Jamie Langenbrunner may be captain, but David Backes and his recent antics cannot be overlooked. While Backes didn’t earn an assistant captaincy, he has already shown that he is not afraid to step up for his country or his teammates. In the weeks after he was named to Team USA, Backes proceeded to inflict some pre-Olympic pain on some of Team Canada’s stars. His actions were compared to those of Brad Pitt’s character in the movie “Inglourious Basterds” by the hockey blog PuckDaddy.com.

The Web site dubbed what he was doing as “Inglourious Backes.” This all because Backes went after “officers of the Team Canada army” by fighting Jonathan Toews, Corey Perry and Rick Nash when his NHL team, the St. Louis Blues, played them. While Backes claimed it all as coincidence, it is good to know there is a guy on the team who is not afraid to get down and dirty and engage in some cold warfare.

Win or lose, the United States has something to look forward to when their team hits the ice rink. They may not be the favorite, but they certainly have the ability to contend. With story lines like “Inglorious Backes,” Kane’s blazing speed and Miller’s skills in net, America will not be without entertainment in the hockey tournament. So put on your best red, white and blue apparel, turn on MSNBC, or whatever network NBC shoved hockey on, and cheer on the old faithful for the “Home of the Brave,” because Olympic Hockey is here.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.