Phi Sigma Kappa admits to charges

AU fraternity Phi Sigma Kappa received multiple sanctions by the Inter-Fraternity Council Judicial Board after the brothers of PSK admitted to the charges, according to a statement released by the IFC.

“Throughout the process, [PSK has] been proactive and cooperative, and the IFC thanks them for that,” the statement reads. “During the hearing, [PSK] admitted to the charges and suggested what they believed to be fair and fitting sanctions.”

PSK will have the opportunity to appeal the sanctions for seven business days, according to Adam Tager, public relations chair for the IFC. It is unclear whether PSK will pursue this option.

PSK had been charged with distributing a controlled substance during a recruitment event, holding an alternative event during another fraternity’s rush time, breaching social function guidelines and posting unauthorized flyers.

A source informed The Eagle of the hearing’s results before the results were supposed to be public, prompting the IFC to confirm them in a press release late Sunday. PSK was informed of IFC Judicial Board’s decision late last week.

The IFC Judicial Board imposed the following sanctions on the fraternity: one-year social probation (including, but not limited to, social events with other greek organizations); no open or closed recruitment for the fall of 2010, though they may take a pledge class; full chapter participation in AU Campus Beautification Day with an additional five hours per member through AU’s Community Service Office and funding and planning a professional speaker on responsible drinking for the spring of 2011. PSK will be allowed to have a pledge class this semester.

“[The IFC was] trying to keep the judicial information until the process was over,” Tager said. “We regret that the information was released sooner than anticipated, but unfortunately we had no choice in the matter.”

The decision will be enforced by the PSK’s local chapter, the IFC, the Office of Greek Life and the PSK national office.

“The IFC is here to hold chapters accountable, yet we do not look forward to doing so,” the statement said. “We look forward to moving past this situation and focusing on all of the positive aspects that greek life has to offer.”

Mike Kaufman, the president of PSK, did not respond for comment before press time.

Staff writer Charlie Szold contributed to this report.

You can reach this staff writer at srudnick@theeagleonline.com.