CONCENTRATION — Michelle Kirk stands at the line to shoot free throws in an away game. Kirk was the driving force behind the women’s victory , scoring a game high-21 points and had eight rebounds.

Women unbeaten in league

Michelle Kirk, Liz Leer and Raven Harris all scored in double digits and the AU women’s basketball team held off a second-half Holy Cross rally to defeat the Crusaders 64-51 on Sunday.

Kirk finished with a game-high 21 points to go along with eight rebounds, while Leer registered 15 points, four rebounds and two blocks. Harris had 15 points and three steals.

The game was close early on, with the score knotted at 11 with 13 minutes remaining in the first half. AU then went on the first run of the game, as two Kirk freethrows capped a 14-5 AU run that put the Eagles ahead 25-16.

The largest AU lead of the opening half came with less than a minute to play, when an Ebony Edwards layup made it 33-22 in the Eagles’ favor. A jumpshot by Holy Cross forward Tayana Carper to end the half put AU’s advantage at 33-24.

Kirk netted 11 of her 20 points in the first half, while Meredith Ward led the Crusaders with seven, and guard Brianna McFadden had six of her team-high 16 points. Both teams struggled from the field, as AU shot 34 percent while Holy Cross only shot 32 percent.

Holy Cross opened a strong second half and cut the AU lead to three with 13:37 to play, when McFadden converted a three-point play off an assist from Bethany O’Dell. A three-pointer by Ward tied the score at 40 with just over 11 minutes remaining.

The score was tied at 46 three minutes later, before a Leer layup, Kirk three-pointer and Harris layup gave AU a seven point lead. Another triple from Kirk, her third of the afternoon, extended the AU lead to 57-48 with 5:07 left. The Eagles did not let up and finished with a 64-51 victory.

For the game, the Eagles shot 37 percent from the field, while holding Holy Cross to a 32 percent mark. AU also converted often at the free throw line, going 15-19 for the game. The Eagles only had seven turnovers for their lowest total of the season, while they forced the Crusaders into 13 miscues.

The victory improves AU to 12-7 on the season and 5-0 in the Patriot League. Their five consecutive victories to open conference play keeps AU in sole possession of first place. The loss, meanwhile, drops Holy Cross to 5-15 overall and 1-4 in the PL.

AU will be on the road again this Wednesday, as they travel to Annapolis, Md., to take on the Navy Midshipmen. Navy’s record stands at 11-9, and two consecutive conference victories have put them at 3-2 in the PL.

AU will return to Bender Arena Saturday, Jan. 30, to host the Lafayette Leopards.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com