D.C. health department offers swine flu vaccine at Wizards game

Basketball fans will be able to receive swine flu immunizations while watching the Washington Wizards game Tuesday.

The D.C. Department of Health is offering free swine flu vaccines to D.C. residents and anyone attending the Washington Wizards vs. Los Angeles Lakers basketball game at the Verizon Center on Tuesday. The vaccine will be offered before the game from noon to 4 p.m. or during the first half of the game.

“The Department of Health is excited to partner with the Wizards and Verizon Center as part of our effort to provide the H1N1 vaccine to as many residents as possible,” DOH Director Dr. Pierre Vigilance said in a press release. “Sporting events are great venues to spread positive health messages for the whole family, so this opportunity for more people to get protected is appreciated, and especially important at this point in the flu season.”

In addition, the Department of Health continues to offer free vaccines for all residents of D.C., even if they are not in a priority group delineated by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The last planned clinics for January will be Monday and Tuesday this week, when the DOH Immunization Clinic on Georgia Avenue will be open to the general public from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.

—MEG FOWLER