Women dominate Va. Wesleyan in opener

The AU women’s basketball team kicked off the 2009-2010 season in convincing fashion over the weekend, dismantling Virginia Wesleyan College 98-34 in an exhibition game at Bender Arena.

Five Eagles scored double-digit points on the afternoon and every player but one recorded at least four rebounds. It was a balanced performance with AU excelling at both ends of the floor. Junior forward Liz Leer led the Eagles with 22 points, eight rebounds and a pair of blocks, while fellow upperclassmen Ohemaa Nyanin chipped in 12 points and seven rebounds of her own.

AU came out firing on all cylinders in the first half, jumping out to an 18-2 lead in the game’s first five minutes. Their crisp, high-tempo style of play proved to be overwhelming for the Division III Marlins. AU’s lead increased with each passing tick of the clock. Strong defense translated to easy layups for the home team on multiple occasions. Coupled with a poised half-court offense and comfortable possession in the low post, AU shot 66 percent from the field in the first half and went to the locker room up by 39 points.

Unfortunately for Virginia Wesleyan, the second half didn’t provide much of a change and the Eagles continued to dominate on both ends of the floor. Leer and Nyanin helped AU explode out of half time to open up a 50-point lead with 16:26 remaining in the second half. What led to success in the first half proved to be just as effective in the second and the Eagles eventually cruised to a 98-34 victory. Sophomore guard Ebony Edwards had a strong performance for AU as she recorded nine points, three boards and two assists in the second half alone.

Despite the fact that the Marlins are a division three team, AU looked strong across the board in almost every aspect of the game. The Eagles finished with statistical advantages in points off turnovers, second chance points, bench points and shooting percentage. The most important stat is that the Eagles absolutely owned the paint, outrebounding the Marlins by 30 and outscoring them in the paint by 52.

AU returns both of its top scorers, Leer and fellow junior Michelle Kirk, to the starting lineup after a 19-12 season last year and a crushing loss in the first round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament. Many predict the team to bounce back this year, despite not being picked to win the Patriot League.

Head Coach Matt Corkery wants the team to get back to basics this year. He has stressed defensive play and easy paint points throughout practice this year. He is 19-12 in his tenure at AU.

The Eagles next game is against cross-town rival Howard University on Friday at 7 p.m. It is the team’s first non-exhibition game of the year. AU faced the Bison last year and defeated them 77-50 in Bender Arena.

You can reach this writer at sports@theeagleonline.com.