Student Government to hold winter semi formal

While students at AU are always searching for new ways to celebrate the end of the semester, Student Government members came up with a “new” idea for the final celebration — they are bringing high school back with a Starry Night-themed dance party.

Nate Bronstein, SG’s director of outreach and a sophomore in the School of International Service, has been organizing a winter semi formal to be held in the Katzen Rotunda from 8:00 p.m. to midnight on Friday, Dec. 4. Tickets will be available one week prior to the event. The price for tickets ahead of time is $5, but they will also be sold at the door for $8.

Bronstein decided to organize the event to “create a campus wide community,” he said at a Nov. 15 Undergraduate Senate meeting. He said he is excited to see the only first-semester, campus-wide event come together.

“AU’s greatest strength is also its greatest weakness,” Bronstein says. “We are a university of leaders who seek to put on our own events and start our own clubs. This is great, but not when we have 10 or 12 events happening at the same time, each only pulling in about 10 to 12 people.”

Bronstein’s job in SG is to foster coordination between groups and organizations that will allow for bigger events that encompass a larger number of people and more group involvement.

Some students who heard about the “Starry” Friday night seemed generally excited and had positive reactions to the evening plans.

“It does sound pretty cool,” said Crista Friedli, a junior in SIS. “It’s been so long since I’ve been to something like this. It’ll be like high school, but hopefully without the awkward slow dances.”

Friedli also voiced her concern about the venue.

“I just hope the acoustics are decent in the Rotunda,” she said. “It doesn’t seem like an area that would be very conducive to loud music.”

If a student organization is interested in co-sponsoring the night of dancing, snacks and goodie bags, there are three different co-sponsorships that are available. The “Eagle,” “Bronstein” and “Fiery Passion” levels of co-sponsorship range from contributions of $50 to $200. The different sponsorships include benefits such as advertisement banners for the organization, contributions to goodie bags as well as free tickets for group members.

“I hope that this will become a tradition that will be organized every single year, each year getting bigger and better,” Bronstein said. “I think it’s going to be a lot of fun, and I know that many of us in the Student Government are excited to see this get off the ground.”

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.