FILED DOWN — Three-piece rock act Single File are now touring to promote their first release, “Common Struggles.” The Colorado natives seek to develop a new style of alternative rock, producing pop/rock music with an indie twist. They are now touring the nation and will be performing at Jammin’ Java on Nov. 24.

Jammin’ Java ready to whistle as ‘File’ work

Single File, a pop/rock band from Colorado, are just beginning to make a name for themselves. They’ve performed on Warped Tour and opened for big name acts, and, earlier this year, they debuted their first full-length album, “Common Struggles.” But the band has yet to make much of an impression nationally.

In an interview with The Eagle, bassist/guitarist/pianist/back-up singer Joe Ginsberg talked about the album, breakfast and why audiences should listen.

What sets Single File apart from other bands, according to Ginsberg, is their refusal to give in to fads.

“We’re just kinda doing our own thing,” Ginsberg said. “We wanted to write music that we wanted to listen to and not really pay attention to the trends and sounds of the moment that just come in and come out. It’s fun pop music that you can kinda just jam out to, but there’s a lot to say in the lyrics; it’s not just light shows and tight neon pants, you know?”

Single File has a unique indie vibe despite their mainstream appeal. Their first single off of “Common Struggles,” “Girlfriends,” begins with the guys whistling the tune and ends the same way, with back-up vocals that add a nice dimension to the song.

Despite traditional “downer” content, the songs have a more upbeat and hopeful sound than their current competition on the airwaves and come off as less whiny than most bands of the same genre.

Perhaps their greatest strength is their amateur status: the CD has no hint of overproduction and simply presents the band as exactly what they claim to be. Their harmonies are pure, and the instrumental music does not overpower the listener.

The best way to describe their sound is peppy and full of a fresh, youthful quality evidenced by song titles such as “Miss Cherry Lipgloss” and “Zombies Ate My Neighbors” and, despite the typical angst-ridden lyrics, many of the album’s songs are a welcome change from most alternative rock out there right now. The songs have an unexpected depth to them regardless of their immature titles, and on the whole the album is quite catchy.

If listeners are looking for one song off the CD that really sums up the band, there isn’t one.

“Our sound has always been a lot of different places because we have a lot of different influences, and that’s always been part of our band,” Ginsberg explained. “Part of this record was we want it to sound cohesive ‘cause our song writing is kinda everywhere; I mean, it’s our style, but it kinda bridges a lot of gaps.”

In describing the album as a thematic whole, Ginsberg picked “Mannequin Loveseat,” saying it sets the tone of the record.

To get the attention of new fans, the band uses popular sites such as Twitter and Facebook, although Ginsberg misses Myspace’s popularity.

“It’s kind of a bummer that Myspace isn’t as big anymore because it’s just such a great place for music and that’s what we used forever,” he said.

They also offer more online content, including webisodes on Kite and a breakfast blog, something the bandmembers enjoy.

“Well, I like breakfast, and J.D. Perry [guitarist for the band Valencia] did a toothbrush blog last year... I thought it was kinda cool,” Ginsberg said. “I thought ‘I wanna do a blog everyday, but I need a reason to.’ And so I came up with breakfast blog. You gotta eat breakfast; it’s good for you.”

Although they’ve opened for big names such as the Fray, Single File really want to play with Weezer.

“We love their band,” gushed Ginsberg, “And I think that out there right now it’s the closest thing to what we’re trying to do — as far as pop music that’s a little snotty and still is saying a whole lot.”

Single File will be in town performing at Jammin’ Java on Nov. 24. And for those wondering if they whistle when they play “Girlfriends,” have no fear.

“You’re damn right we do,” Ginsberg said. “We’ve gotten pretty good at whistling. It’s not easy — we’ve had a lot of practice.”

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.