19.hd150_0020B_L1TK2_0145.tiff.dng

‘Fantastic’ graphics make ‘Fantastic Mr. Fox’

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Grade: A -

If it has no other redeeming value, “Fantastic Mr. Fox” is a worthwhile movie to see based solely on a trait few other films share: complete originality.

Director Wes Anderson enlivens “Fox” with the energy of a storybook, brought to life with childish delight by a superb voice cast that includes George Clooney as the titular Fox, as well as Meryl Streep, Bill Murray and Willem Dafoe. The youthful vigor is tempered by adult sensibilities and wizened snark that manifests in a film whose energy and vibrancy are unlike anything else.

The experience is one of pure delight, as viewers become entranced by the ever smooth-talking Fox as he battles with Boggis, Bunce and Bean — three farmers willing to level acres in their war to kill him. The ensuing clash is funny, engaging and, at times, even able to touch on what it means to be true to one’s basic nature.

Filmed using stop-motion animation and a unique, on-site recording process, everything about the presentation of “Fox” is refreshing and new. The sound effects, music and visually charming animation remind us of the best parts of reading storybooks for the first time, with all the youthful fascination and discovery spurred by Anderson’s direction. He truly knows how to weave an entrancing frolic with the foxes, badgers and opossums. Without extravagant CGI effects, the film completes the storybook feel with a style of animation that still creates deeply enchanting visuals.

Strange as it may sound, “Fox’s” only real weakness is that it rests its impressive laurels on its greatest strength. Everything about the film is invested in its originality; the visuals and acting are aimed entirely at enticing the audience with something it has never seen before. The ploy pays off — and in spades. The charm and childish intimacy begins with the opening credits and never stops, always a playful romp in the collective imagination of adults who remember there is a grand eloquence in a simple yet clever, well-told story.

There are arguably better stories and funnier stop-motion animation films, but nothing can hope to compare with “Fox’s” pure, unique innovation. Its style, tempo, visuals and the feel of its story is something entirely its own. Unless a viewer deeply enjoys watching the same stories hashed out over and over again with a few modest attempts at better visuals or slightly interesting directions, “Fox” will be an utterly refreshing experience. It is visually superb and captivating with an energy unlike any other film, animated or otherwise.

You can reach this staff writer at bkoenig@theeagleonline.com.