Capitals start season as early favorite in East

The wait is finally over, as hockey season is finally here, with the Capitals facing off against the Boston Bruins tonight at 7:00 p.m.

It has been a long four months for fans in Washington. They have had to watch their arch-enemies the Pittsburgh Penguins go on to win the cup, their backup goaltender sign with said enemy and watch their soon-to-be hall of fame second line center leave for the Russian equivalent of the NHL, the KHL. All that said though, the future has never looked so bright for the Caps and their quest for the Stanley Cup.

While it may be too early to make wild claims about who will win what, it is not too outlandish to say Washington is the number two team in the Eastern Conference. They are second only to the defending champions in the conference, but are almost a sure lockup to win the Southeast Division. While the team may have come up short in the postseason, don’t be surprised if they make a serious run at the finals.

Washington was literally inches from going to the Eastern Conference Finals last year, with several scoring opportunities squandered in close games against Pittsburgh. The series should not have been as close as it was, since Pittsburgh was clearly the better team, but rookie stud dark horse goaltender Semyon Varlamov was as close to a brick wall as it comes. It allowed the Caps to push the series to seven games, giving themselves a legitimate shot at moving on.

While all of this romanticizing is great, what is important now is the present. Offseason acquisitions of Mike Knuble and Brendan Morrison will be a difference maker in the Capitals season. The two add needed experience and hockey smarts to a young hockey team. While Washington has done a lot since coach Bruce Boudreau took over a little under two years ago, it doesn’t have that grit and veteran presence it has needed.

Perhaps the most interesting roster spots belong to rookies Tyler Sloan and Quitin Laing. Both spent time with the club last year but looked like long shots to make the final roster. Sloan was the biggest surprise; as he beat out stud draft pick Karl Alzner for a spot on the team. What is important to understand about Sloan is that though he may not be the best defenseman out there; he certainly makes everyone around him better.

In reality one of the most exciting things about the NHL, and hockey in general, is that the top players aren’t always most important. While a club’s All-Stars are important, the role players are what make or break a team. Players like Sloan for instance, are important because they can make a defender like Mike Green look 10 times better. By being a solid defender and safety net, Green can move up on offense and know that defense is locked down with Sloan hanging back.

Role players are interesting, but the Capitals are really a band of four. Nicklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, Mike Green and that Alex Ovechkin guy run Washington. The four are probably the brightest and most likeable stars inside the Beltway as well as the best. Ovechkin is coming off of another MVP season, Semin had some of his highest goal totals in his career, Green broke the consecutive games scored in record by a defender and Backstrom was one of the best defenseman in the game. With these four, the future looks bright for Washington.

Let’s put all of this talk of statistics and championships aside for a moment and just revel in the fact that hockey season is here. The weather is a bit colder, the air is a bit crisper and the days are a bit shorter. While many may turn a blind eye to hockey, those that watch it understand why it is one of the greatest sports on earth.

Get that adrenaline pumping and dust off that Caps sweater that has been buried in the closet since Game 7 in May. Hockey is here and nothing could be sweeter. Tonight begins yet another quest for Lord Stanley’s Cup, and no one is out of the race yet.

You can reach this columnist at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.