Where the Wild Things Are

‘Wild things’ invade hearts, theaters in fall

Though the cooling weather and rainy days have made some of us forget the fonder days of summer, not all aspects of the sunny season are over. Just as summer tends to have a period of movie blockbusters, fall is not without its own film perks. Take a look at some of the more highly anticipated movies to watch out for in the coming months.

“Capitalism: A Love Story” Despite what your political affiliation may be, it seems that everyone has an opinion about Michael Moore. Moore’s films are often a topic of discussion, whether it be a look into what happened in the United States after the events of Sept. 11 in “Fahrenheit 9/11” or the exploration of the difficulty of health care in “Sicko.” Moore’s latest foray into cinema addresses a current and looming issue in the United States — the economy. Like his films of the past, Moore will be sure to shock and awe in his newest movie, “Capitalism: A Love Story,” scheduled to hit theaters Sept. 23.

“Nine” If a movie’s success were based on star power alone, “Nine” would already be guaranteed to be a cinematic smash. Starring the likes of Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Dame Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman and Sophia Loren (all Academy Award winners), “Nine” is based on the musical of the same name. The film takes on the disharmonious life of acclaimed movie director Guido Contini (Day-Lewis) in a film filled with ornate musical numbers and even more extravagant lives interweaving. The film is set to open in theaters Sept. 25.

“Where The Wild Things Are” Maurice Sendak’s beloved children’s book “Where The Wild Things Are” is already set to become a classic film. It was put on the cinematic backburner for over a decade until Sendak approached director Spike Jonze with film adaptation ideas. Jonze’s own adaptation was then put on hold nearly a year-and-a-half after the studio was unhappy with his less-than-family-friendly take on the work. Now — finally — on Oct. 16, Max and his beloved friends will grace theater screens across the nation. With popular author Dave Eggers helping to co-write the film adaptation and the Jim Henson company (the originator of the Muppets) puppetry used for the monsters, it is likely that both dialogue and stunning visuals for the children’s classic will sweep audiences of all ages off their feet.

“The Road” Based on Cormac McCarthy’s well-known novel of the same name, “The Road” has been highly anticipated, as its original release date was pushed back nearly a year. Now opening Oct. 16, Viggo Mortensen, Charlize Theron and Kodi Smit-McPhee star in the dramatic tale of a post-apocalyptic world where a father (Mortensen) and son (Smit-McPhee) must face terrible horrors to survive. The film will likely face tough scrutiny if it is anything other than moving, dramatic and extraordinary as the original novel. Published in 2006, the bound version was an Oprah’s Book Club choice and won a Pulitzer Price for Fiction.

“The Twilight Saga: New Moon” The thirst for blood won’t be contained to the screen when hardcore fans stake out their spots in the movie theater lines as “New Moon” hits cinemas Nov. 20. Whatever your opinion may be of Stephenie Meyer’s “Twilight” book series, there is no denying that the novels’ film adaptations will take over the theaters with each upcoming release. In “New Moon,” we again follow Bella Swan’s (Kristen Stewart) unusual relationship with the eternally 17-year-old vampire Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson). After Edward is forced to leave Bella over an incident that compromises her safety, we explore her burgeoning relationship with best friend, Jacob Black (an extremely built Taylor Lautner), as she risks her life to bring her true love, Edward, back.

You can reach this staff writer at cmoore@theeagleonline.com.