HIGH TIMES -- Joshua Mays, who hails from Philadelphia, brought his spray art to D.C. to inspire those who pass by his works. Mays' work is in the vein of one of the world's best-known in the genre, Banksy. His mural, along with those of the rest of the participants of Mural Jam, can be seen near the Rhode Island Metrorail stop.

Street art makes its way inside

I must say that sitting here in my dorm is a lot different than I remember thinking it would be about a week ago. I've met some interesting people (to say the least), and some I'm interested in getting to know better. Aside from the people, D.C. is enough to make someone want to go to school here. With so much to do -- and so much of it free -- who wouldn't want to experience the nation's capital?

When I took on the challenge of writing this column, I began doubting myself. I mean, the possibilities of what to do with free time are endless -- sporting events, shopping, museums. Although museums have a lot to do with art, I figured that they'd be the last places I would go to for inspiration. I want to write about local events and keep readers up to date about what's going on with art. Lucky for me, a suggestion to go to an art show on 14th Street led me to realize that perhaps this column wouldn't be so difficult after all. In fact, it may even be interesting, exciting and mildly entertaining.

My friends and I got off at the U Street Metrorail station, and for the first time since we got to Washington, we were on our own. Perhaps dressing up and wearing uncomfortable shoes was a bad decision, but that was no matter -- we were on a mission. Finding 14th Street wasn't the hard part -- the hard part was finding Ms. Pixie's Things and Whatnot. Some of you may know the venue. A hellhole for the super-organized, the shop has random furniture, art and miscellaneous objects scattered throughout. However, in the back room, away from all the clutter and confusion, was a gallery full of spray paint art (both graffiti and stenciled). I was like a kid in a candy shop. On the walls were skateboards, records, pieces of sheet metal and, of course, canvases -- all decorated, enhanced and made unique by spray paint. A skateboard spine surrounded by tables and chairs also helped fill the room. It was unlike anything I had ever seen. It always surprises me when independent art shows such as this don't get more attendance. A group of guys (respectively the curators, and probably all close friends) stood arms crossed watching as the number of visitors grew bigger and bigger. This particular show had a much larger crowd than I expected. Not without reason, though -- the art was kick-ass and compelling. A large canvas stood at the entrance displaying a girl with a sign that read "grown-ups are obsolete" (pretty ironic, considering that with a price tag of at least $2,000, you can bet the lucky one purchasing it is going to be a grown-up).

To be honest, I'm not necessarily a connoisseur of spray paint art -- my list of familiar artists includes Banksy, Obey and Andre the Giant. No, seriously. That was it. I can proudly say that I am now familiar with the work of artists such as Kelly Towles, Borf and Mensa Kondo. Kondo's continual reference to Busta Rhymes was ironic (not to mention really funny and unexpected). Look into these artists -- you won't be disappointed, I promise.

Perhaps this proves one of the greatest aspects of D.C. -- with just a little intuition and a good amount of searching, you can find at least one thing to suit any interest. Here we were, not expecting anything but a few pieces with cool spray paint lettering, and suddenly we were in a neighborhood full of art and culture. On the way back to the Metro, we stopped at a shop dedicated solely to the work of a local collective of artists, fashion designers and craftspeople. A few blocks up, with a wall full of paint, we witnessed a man painting a mural celebrating Latino culture.

As I write this column, I'm beginning to realize that I've learned a valuable lesson from this excursion and from my little experiences here so far: go! Go explore, go get lost for a few moments, go do whatever the hell you want. Really, who's going to stop you? Certainly not yourself, I hope.

You can reach this columnist at thescene@theeagleonline.com