AU mens and womens soccer break into top polls

AU's fall sports lineup has two new members of their respective sports top ranking polls, with men's soccer becoming the 25th team in the NCAA and women's soccer team moving to the 10th spot in the Mid-Atlantic poll.

After a disastrous season last year, where the women's soccer team couldn't win a game in overtime, the team is 3-1 on the season. The Eagles were voted into the top NSCAA Mid-Atlantic poll, after they defeated the University of Richmond 1-0.

"It is great to see our program be recognized for the success we have had so far and I am happy for our players," Head Coach David Bucciero told AU Athletics. "Having said that, it is very early in the season and we know we have a lot of big tests coming up, starting with Maryland on Wednesday."

While the women have had some surprise success this year, there has been more vindication for the men. Men's soccer had a strong season last year, finishing 9-7-3, but was unable to advance past Holy Cross in the Patriot League semifinals. This year, the team has shown it can compete with the best teams, beating No. 19 George Mason in the D.C. Cup. After the victory, Soccer America voted the Eagles as the 23rd best team in the country.

"The ranking is something the players can be proud of but we are still the same players and coaching staff from before the national ranking," Head Coach Todd West told AU Athletics. "Our focus must be on improving in each training session leading up to our Princeton match on Friday."

Both teams have games this week. The women faced-off against the University of Maryland Wednesday night. The men will follow up their D.C. College Cup victory against Princeton University on Friday.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.