Ask AU: Your thoughts on the comptroller impeachment

We asked AU students what they thought about the charges against SG Comptroller Matt Handverger.

I went to [the impeachment proceedings] last night ... This thing was the biggest joke I've ever been to in my life. One, the charters are a joke. Two ... the whole thing is really against Handverger ... It's not even Labor Day, and they're trying to get rid of the guy.

These people ... should be doing things that actually affect the student government and the student body as a whole, not just impeaching somebody. It's a joke ... It's un-American, that's what it is.

All they ever do is file for motions; nothing ever gets done ... Every motion would go against Handverger. The evidence is ... nonsense ... All of this is opinion; it's not actual fact.

I think the SG, in general, needs to be cleaned out ... The student government can't run a free lunch ... They have to get their priorities in order and not waste 4-5 nights on this ... People were on Facebook, people were doing homework during [the meeting] ... It's the student government at work ... What they need to work on is fixing the TDR and the Tavern and the food at this place. That's what they need to be working on. --Zach Lancet, CAS, Sophomore

image It's a joke ... The fact that they have these impeachment proceedings ... that they've thought about this before is amazing. Help out the school; help out some kid who needs the money to go here. This is a waste of time.

I think it reflects poorly on the SG. The fact that they... seem to take pride in this, they spend so much time on this. It's ridiculous.

The SG should be working to improve life for the students as a whole, not just to feel good about themselves and feel like they're important. Get the SG hands off my life at AU. They work for us. --Alex Margolis, SPA, Junior

image It's pretty ridiculous how big of a deal they're making out of it. From my understanding, the kid worked an extra 50 hours over the summer and now they're kicking him out of SG ... I'm pretty sure that the entire time I've been at school, the SG has never been full. There have always been empty positions and now they're kicking out a kid that dedicated his summer to AU. It's kind of pathetic in my mind. --Garrett Asta, Kogod, Senior

image I think [the SG] is run pretty well ... But in terms of the scope of what they could do with the money they're allotted, I don't really see a lot of it being applied very practically. --Nabila Chami, SOC, Sophomore

image I think they're taking themselves a little too seriously, and it's just SG-based. Cut the guy a break ... if he wanted to do it, he obviously wanted to do. To bring up impeachment, I think, is just a little ... corny. --Chris Baranowski, SIS, Junior

image It seems a little confusing and contradictory to me. I don't have any feelings either way ... The proceedings seem pretty orderly and pretty thorough. If they're meeting until 3 a.m. they seem pretty committed to figuring out what's going on.

It's really funny that they're using Facebook to make their case. It seems like they're making a big fuss over whether he was in the office or not ... [and] whether you can work from home or work from the office. --Delaney Rohan, SIS, Grad student

image It has been frustrating. I'm part of the Rugby team. It's been frustrating for us because the AUTO program is ... just in limbo ... But since the impeachment, it's made things even more difficult on top of that so that's been an issue. --Alyssa Geisler, SOC and CAS, Senior

From what I read it looks like he got kind of blind-sided. Whether what he did was technically against the rules or not, it seems like this whole impeachment process is really the wrong way to go about it.

It looks like whoever's doing it is really doing it for political points.

On another note, what really sucks is if your in SG ... but you got impeached, it really doesn't look good on a resume. --David Byrd, SIS, Junior