STATE OF MIND -- Films like 2004\'s \"Garden State\" are the perfect types of movies to remedy the homesickness many college students feel after their first few days at school. Peter Sarsgaard, Natalie Portman and Zach Braff, pictured above, star in the film that shows that sometimes, when you go away from home, nothing changes but you.

Nostalgic films ease college blues

Little kid classics drive away stress

Your first classes have begun, new clubs have been joined and daily routines have been set, but let's face it -- sometimes we still get a little homesick. It's not as easy to grab a flight or take the train home with our newly reduced college budgets, so we turn to the second best option: movies. Our favorite films, like a good cup of Mom's homemade soup on a gloomy, winter day, can put us right back in our comfort zone and bring that little piece of home to our somehow already messy rooms. Here are our picks for a few good movies to watch when you're longing for home but can't actually be there.

"That Thing You Do!" "That Thing You Do!" contains nearly every element that induces happiness when watching movies, including likeable characters, catchy music and Tom Hanks. The story of a one-hit wonder's rise to fame, the film is funny but full of heart as the members slowly discover that Hollywood may not be the place for them. Definitely not for deep thinkers, "That Thing You Do!" is lighthearted, charming and never falls short on the funny. The main song from the film is, without being facetious, one of the more catchy music numbers from a film that is not considered an actual musical. You'll find yourself humming the tune long after the film has finished, trying without success to get it out of your head while simultaneously getting it stuck in others. "That Thing You Do!" succeeds at winning you over without trying too hard, making you feel at home as it charms you out of your blues for an hour and a half.

Any original Disney 2-D animated film Say what you will about Disney after taking your first class about gender or racism (good ol' Walt was slightly stereotypical), but the man has had a hand in some of the most wonderful childhood movies of the past century. A large percentage of the films that have come from Disney have been instant classics, especially the two-dimensional animated films that have slowly fallen out of favor. Everyone has their personal favorites and often even their own Disney princess to relate to (redheads tending to favor Ariel, brunettes often shifting toward Belle). Movies like "The Lion King," "Aladdin," "101 Dalmatians" -- and even more recent ones like "Mulan" -- all have the ability to transport us back into a childhood mentality. However nuanced and moving the music that now fills your iPod may be, we all know that as soon as "A Whole New World" or "Under the Sea" comes on, we will be humming every word under our breath.

"Garden State" Though considered cliché by some, "Garden State" is a great film to watch when spending a significant time away from home for the first time. A bit less happy-go-lucky than some of the other choices, "Garden State" analyzes that moment when you realize it's not your home that has changed, you have. A film about facing the realities of a dysfunctional family and even weirder friends, this coming-of-age movie makes one wonder what will become of the kids you knew so well in high school and how the new people you meet may just change your life forever.

"Now and Then" If you miss your hometown friends, this is one of the best films you can stick in on a sad day. "Now and Then" tells the story of the eventful, mysterious summer of four pre-pubescent girls in their sleepy hometown who come together again many years later when one of them gives birth. Taking place in a time when kids still actually played outside and not video games, "Now and Then" is a classic for any group of friends. The film's focus on strong friendships help get the girls get through disappointments, first kisses, divorces and even death. Most importantly, this film reminds us that even when bad things happen, we "can't shut out the world." This is a subtle reminder to remember that even if you feel overwhelmed or a little lonely, some great movies and, even better, friends to watch them with, can make any day a little better.

You can reach this staff writer a cmoore@theeagleonline.com