Field hockey ties 14th in poll

AU's field hockey team will start the season tied for 14th with Boston College in the 2009 Kookbaurra/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I Preseason Poll.

The poll, which is conducted every preseason, ranks the top 20 teams in Division I field hockey. The poll is not affiliated with the NCAA and has no bearing on Tournament ranking.

AU did not receive any first place votes in the poll, but the team did get 140 points overall in the voting. The Lady Eagles are the only Patriot League team to be in the top 20, but rivals Bucknell did receive votes in the poll -- just not enough to break the top 20.

With the school year underway, AU is preparing for this year's campaign towards their seventh straight Patriot League title. Steven Jennings will be entering into his 11th year as head coach and returns many of his players from last year. The League's Defensive Player of the Year Anne-Meike De Wiljes, rookie of the year Tatum Dyer and All-League second team keeper Alyssa Poorman, will all be returning to the squad.

Last season didn't start well for the Eagles, with a 3-5 record before league play started. They rebounded for a 13-8 overall record and 5-0 league record. Their strong finish gave them an opportunity to compete for a tournament bid in an NCAA Play-In game against Lock Haven, which they won 2-0. With the win, the team advanced to the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Wake Forest, where they lost 7-1.

AU opens their season Friday against Indiana in Richmond, Va., At 11:00 a.m. The Lady Eagles play Richmond the following day at 1 p.m. The team will open up their home season Sept. 18 against the University of California at 3:00 p.m.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com