Enjoy films, food for one price

If there's one thing that any good college town should be filled with, it is a 24-hour diner. Among the fancy restaurants of downtown D.C. and countless trips to the Domino's in Tenleytown, it is often hard to find a good old-fashioned, reasonably-priced restaurant that accommodates both the crazy schedules of college students as well as their ever-expanding appetite. If you are a fan of classic American fare and eating at three in the morning, then American City Diner is the restaurant for you.

Located at 5532 Connecticut Ave. N.W., the American City Diner is a throwback to diners past. Its retro 1950s vibe is due to the mind of Jeffrey Gildenhorn, who had the idea to build the diner in 1989 after witnessing the new trend of high-tech without the successful routines and fare of diners from the 1950s and '60s. The older feel of the diner is apparent from the décor alone, as jukeboxes and simple tables line the walls. One can even purchase a Coca-Cola in the original glass bottles (once mass produced, but are outlived by fountains and plastics) as your beverage.

The diner caters to all sorts of clientele, offering take-out meals as well as seating for birthday parties and an outdoor patio. The patio also serves as a movie tent, where patrons can watch classic movies at 8:30 every night while they eat their meals. American City Diner publishes their movie schedule online so diners can choose the night that best suits their tastes. "Annie Hall," "12 Angry Men," "On the Waterfront," "Cool Hand Luke" and "Rebel Without A Cause" are among some of the movies being shown at the diner during the month of August.

With the self-proclaimed "best milkshakes in town," American City Diner offers a variety of dessert items to complement their burgers, sandwiches and all-day breakfasts. With treats ranging from malts to ice cream sodas to banana splits and apple pie a la mode, you will leave the diner full to the brim and satisfied, no matter what time of the day you stop by.

Though D.C. is home to a wide variety of restaurants with ranges of new and ethnic foods, American City Diner caters to a simpler fare. There are also some vegetarian options (a few vegetarian omelets, fresh fruit and a relatively sparse salad section), but most of the meals on the menu cater to meat-loving customers. Served from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., dinner entrees range from open-faced turkey sandwiches to baby back ribs and country fried chicken livers. All-day burger and sandwich options include the half-pound bacon cheeseburger, fresh egg salad and the self-titled "best sandwich south of New York City," the hot corned beef sandwich.

The 24-hour breakfast menu lists typical morning fare that can be enjoyed at any point in the day, especially after a night out on the town. With any-style eggs, omelets, cereal, muffins, pancakes, French toast, waffles and typical side orders like bacon, sausage, toast and home fries, the American City Diner can satisfy any breakfast fan.

With a friendly staff and a menu that caters to a simpler time, American City Diner is an ideal choice for college students who want an old-fashioned, fairly priced meal in a constantly growing city. The restaurant's hours are ideal for those who have an endless appetite or for those who crave greasy and delicious food after a night out on the town. Catering to families, students, tourists and locals alike, the American City Diner should be a stop on anyone's D.C. eatery list.

You can reach this staff writer at cmoore@theeagleonline.com