NEW OPPORTUNITIES - Anne Van Erp takes the ball up-field during an Eagles during a 2008 contest. This season, the team seeks to advance further into the NCAA tournament. With the loss of Patriot League all-time points leader, Irene Schickhardt, the newly-

Field hockey looks to frosh next season

The AU field hockey team may have a strong year as eight of their 11 starters return next year.

AU has built a strong field hockey team over the past few years, winning six consecutive Patriot League titles. They had high hopes coming into the season last year, but an early slide led to a lower seeding in the NCAA Tournament. As a result, they had to take on No. 2 Wake Forest in the first round and lost 7-1.

Now with a new season ahead of them the Eagles hope to capitalize on their strengths and regain their place among the nation's elite. The team welcomes 20 of last year's 23 members and adds three new recruits. The upcoming season also features a change in coaching, as six-year head coach Steve Jennings adds Katie Ridd as an assistant coach.

The team could be one of the more veteran squads in the Patriot League, as it has 12 junior or senior girls on their roster. From experience also comes the ability to overcome adversity and it is not something that the Lady Eagles are unfamiliar with. They learned to come from behind last year, as they regrouped from a record under .500 to make the NCAA field of 16.

One of the biggest blows to the squad was the graduation of First Team All-American Irene Schickhardt. She had been a large force behind American's success finishing her career ranked second in the Patriot League all time for points in a career (142), second in assists (42) and fourth in goals (50). Last season alone, she led the squad with 45 points and had a team-high eight game-winning goals.

Incoming freshman Kelsey Davis may be considered to fill in for Shickhardt. Davis will be looked at to play both midfield and forward. She is from Amaroo, Australia and led her state to the Australian national championships in 2008, where they finished fourth.

"We are delighted to add Kelsey to our incoming class for the 2009-2010 season," Jennings said in a press release. "She has a strong background in Australia representing her state in hockey since 2002 and no doubt will add tremendous depth to our squad with her speed, skill and knowledge of the game. Her drive will only help us get better."

Ridd is the other key addition that will hopefully help AU get back to their place of prominence. Ridd, a former All-American, won two National Championships with Wake Forest. She reached the NCAA Final Four with her squad, in each of her four playing seasons.

"Katie's experiences as a leader, winner and certainly as a two-time national champion will undoubtedly help take our program to another level," Jennings said in a press release. "Katie's passion is contagious and her ability to relate to people will help her make the adjustment to our team a quick one. Everyone in the program is excited to welcome Katie as we are busy at work preparing for what we hope will be a standout year in 2009."

AU's season begins Aug. 23 with a match against the University of Delaware. They come into the 2009-2010 season with a 23-game winning streak against Patriot League opponents. They are the early favorites to defend their championship coming into the season.

You can reach this staff writer at atomlinson@theeagleonline.com.