SPARE SOME CHANGE? - The School of Communication needs $20 million to transform the McKinley building into the school's new facilities. The plan includes a new 200-seat theater, a state-of-the-art newsroom and a TV studio. AU hired architect firm Bowie Gr

New SOC building lacks funds

Four years ago, AU proposed plans to renovate the McKinley building as the newest part of the School of Communication, yet because of the extensive fundraising needed, there are still few signs of visible progress.

In 2004, the combined donations from the 30-member Dean's Advisory Council and former AU trustee Michael Forman allowed AU to hire the architectural firm Bowie Gridley to design the building and partner with Communications Engineering Inc. to ensure it was as technologically up to date as possible, according to SOC Dean Larry Kirkman.

The decision to choose McKinley as the focal point of the SOC renovations was obvious, he said.

"It's an elegant building at the center of campus, with the space necessary to meet the needs of SOC's programs," Kirkman said.

The plans are still in the beginning phases.

"The SOC and development offices are in the midst of a fundraising campaign for the construction of the building," said University Architect Jerry Gager.

The finished product would not be ready for another two to three years, he said.

AU set a goal of raising $20 million for the new McKinley building, Kirkman said. The amount of time before the product is finished depends significantly on the success of fundraising, he said.

"As soon as we meet our goal, AU will begin to develop blueprints and construction plans, and it will take about two years to complete the renovation," he said.

The renovated McKinley building will feature additions such as a new TV studio, a 200-seat theater and a state-of-the-art newsroom, according to the plans.

It is AU's responsibility to provide students with the best tools and resources, according to Kirkman.

"There will be many new high-tech and high-touch classrooms and room for our new centers and institutes," he said.

The University Architect's office worked hard to establish a layout for McKinley that would benefit the entire AU community, Gager said.

"We helped the dean, faculty, staff and students of SOC create a design for a facility that supports the academic program and the community within the school," he said.

Christine Edmond, a freshman in SOC, said she is in favor of the renovations and commented on how many more resources are needed for SOC students.

"As a broadcast journalism major, I think a new TV studio is going to be beneficial and definitely allow me to get necessary experience," she said.

Kayla Fenner, a freshman in SOC, said she thinks the current SOC facilities are insufficient, especially as the program develops further.

"I think the SOC program is growing at AU so it would be best for students to have the newest resources," she said.

The new McKinley building will draw prospective students to apply to AU, Edmond said.

SOC was established in 1984 and has grown largely since then, offering over ten different graduate and undergraduate degree programs. The 2009 Princeton Review Best Colleges rated AU a great school for journalism majors, according to the SOC Web site.

"I think the proposed plan is so beautiful and will allow SOC to expand by attracting more new students to apply," Edmond said.

You can reach this staff writer at ostitilis@theeagleonline.com.