Mercury found on campus

The U.S. Army Corps is currently making plans to remove a small amount of mercury uncovered next to AU's Department of Public Safety building Feb. 19 as part of an ongoing excavation and search for buried chemical weapons on and near the university's main campus.

This excavation also includes a dig that is currently underway in the area around 4835 Glenbrook Road N.W. - the house previously used as AU's official presidential residence - and an adjacent property at 4825 Glenbrook, according to David Taylor, President Neil Kerwin's chief of staff.

AU did not publicize the mercury find to students and faculty members because it did not pose a risk to the campus community, Taylor said.

"That particular find presented no hazard to the campus because it's underground, small quantity in a low-probability operation," he said.

The mercury the Army Corps discovered was hidden three-and-a-half feet below ground-level and probably came from old, broken scientific instruments, according to Paul Chrostowski, a consultant AU hired to help the university analyze the Army Corps' findings and work plans.

Upon finding the mercury, the Army Corps immediately covered it back up and halted the dig as a safety precaution, according to Chrostowski. Work to remove the chemical and clean up the site will probably begin this Thursday or Friday, but the administration will not know how much mercury was found until it has all been removed.

Tom Smith, a commissioner for Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3D whose district includes the northern portion of AU's campus and surrounding residential areas, said he believes AU's administration should have warned the campus community about the potential dangers the mercury find poses.

"Mercury is a very dangerous agent and exposure to mercury is incredibly hazardous," he said.

In context in which the Army Corps discovered the toxin, it would not pose any danger to AU students, Chrostowski said.

"Once it's covered, as long as you prevent direct contact with it, it's not really a safety issue," he said.

Michelle Dromgold, a junior in the School of International Service, said she was not aware the Army Corps had found the mercury.

"I think that as students who are paying to be here . they should have notified us as students who are in the area and could possibly be at risk," she said.

Smith said he has spent the past few years fighting for more transparency from AU's administration on the issue.

"On this particular issue they are not doing a good job of communicating accurately with the student community," he said.

Myca Ferrer, a senior in the Kogod School of Business, said he does not fault AU for choosing not to publicize the mercury find.

"I think that the number of people that it would potentially affect probably doesn't out weigh the cost of negative publicity that way," she said.

Chrostowski said his main role in the cleanup of the AU campus is to ensure the Corps is doing a thorough job. He, as well as the Environmental Protection Agency and the D.C. Department of the Environment, reviews all Army Corps-submitted plans and results and proposes changes when he feels it is necessary.

Chrostowski said he will not be satisfied that the excavation is complete until the arsenic, mercury and lead levels of all soil on campus is no higher than it is in other areas of Northwest, D.C., and Montgomery County, Md.

"I'm convinced that when it's all over with, the campus is going to be safe for anything," he said.

Aside from removing the mercury found near Public Safety, the Army Corps and university are currently focusing on approving the 4835 Glenbrook property as safe for use, according to Taylor. He said he hopes it will be ready within one calendar year.

Chrostowski said he is not sure what the next step in the excavation program will be. Based on aerial photographs from the period around World War I when the U.S. Army used AU's campus and adjacent land as a chemical weapons testing site, as well as anecdotal evidence from the time period, Corps officials believe more chemical weapons may be buried in the area under the Beeghley Chemistry Building, some areas around the soccer field and a small area near the Media Production Center. These places will likely be investigated next, Chrostowski said.

The Mary Graydon Center has not yet been investigated, Chrostowski said.

"But as long as students are not conducting intrusive activities - in other words, not digging in the dirt - there's really no reason for student concern," he said.

You can reach this staff writer at mkendall@theeagleonline.com.