MacCracken wins presidency

Andrew MacCracken was elected Student Government president Wednesday night, garnering 43.8 percent of the vote.

Results Announced MARISA KENDALL / THE EAGLE

Turnout for the two-day election was a record 1,495 students, according to Board of Elections Chair Emily Ann Kokol.

MacCracken said he is going to hit the ground running.

"I'm going to get the team together and see where our shared vision lies, where the differences might be, where we can figure out where the whole direction is," he said. "The Student Government isn't me. This is all the students together so we need to really make sure that we're pulling in as many people from the get go. It's not going to be me leading the agenda, it's going to be me facilitating what the agenda ends up being."

Zack Solomon and Mike Mayer, MacCracken's opponents, were optimistic despite their losses against MacCracken.

"[MacCracken] did a great job," Solomon said. "It was a fun campaign. I had a lot of fun doing it. I have no regrets. I mean, I had 33 percent of the vote which is really good."

"I'm a little disappointed that we lost, but honestly, I wasn't necessarily expecting to win," Mayer said. "[MacCracken]'s a great candidate, and he's going to make a great president."

Prescott said he had no worries for next year.

"[I'll] just get to work, start looking for [Kennedy Political Union] and [Student Union Board] directors [and] try and fill my cabinet," he said.

Dan Bakst, a sophomore in the Kogod School of Business, said he was happy with the results.

"I think it's good," he said. "I voted for Prescott and MacCracken."

Meiselman, who won as a write-in candidate for SG secretary, said he was excited for the next year.

"Hopefully it'll be a great year," he said. "Hopefully I'll be able to get everything I want accomplished done."

Handverger said he hopes "to actually help the school in any way, shape or form, to basically advise [MacCracken] in policies that should be enacted and help out [Prescott] in what sort of events should be planned for the students."

Adam Ma'ruf, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences who ran against Handverger, said he wishes his former opponent the best.

"You know I'm happy for Handverger, who was the other comptroller candidate, and I'm happy for MacCracken and the rest of the executive cabinet. I think they'll do a good job," he said. "And you know my support is all the way behind them."

Students also elected Courtney Klamar president of the Residence Hall Association. Joining her on the RHA executive board will be Vice President of Finance-elect Ryan Lloyd, VP of Advocacy-elect Anthony Dunham and VP of Programming-elect Amanda Silva.

Eagle Staff Writers Katie Litvin, Marisa Kendall and Lindsey Anderson contributed to this report.

You can reach this staff writer at eklapper@theeagleonline.com