Letter to the editor: Barney Frank represents everything that AU hopes not to be

To the members of the AU community,

After four years at American University, the graduating seniors of the School of Public Affairs have not only become aware of, but have actively embraced AU's mantra of "ideas into action, action into service." We have seen the university named the most politically active campus twice, helped facilitate a visit from a future president in Bender Arena, and aided AU in rising both in the rankings and in prestige. The class of 2009 has left an unquestionable legacy of service to AU. Yet the university, for reasons passing understanding, has seen fit to mark SPA's commencement into real life with a man, charitably described as a leader, whose poor ideas have led to a terrible disservice to the country.

Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., has a record as a key player in our current economic crisis, which is almost as offensive as his endless refusal to accept responsibility for it ? hardly the marks of a public servant. From insisting that desires for further oversight of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were "overblown" and that "Wall Street would get over it" if the banks collapsed, we wonder if those helpful tips will be passed on by Congressman Frank to all of our fellow graduates who can't find jobs. Many of us may not be able to find work, but we can find Congressman Frank's record with ease. He encouraged irresponsibility in the marketplace by preventing appropriate regulation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (who own $5.5 trillion, half the size of the total U.S. debt, in tax-payer funded liabilities), and used the two entities to mortgage our future for political gain, which necessitated the federal bailout. Contrary to Frank's statements about other students who have debated his record in an academic setting, it is he who is "not being fully honest" about his record and AU should not countenance such intellectual dishonesty at a celebration of academic achievement.

The Class of 2009 has worked hard to expand AU's credibility. We've devoted four years of our lives to benefiting ourselves, and in turn, AU. We are proud of the work we have done here, and want to be for the rest of our lives. At the time when that pride should be most prominent, it will be tarnished by a man who lacks credibility, and given Americans reason to question the effectiveness of their government. If AU wants to breed the leaders of tomorrow, it won't happen by celebrating today's failures. If AU wants to foster a sense of campus community, inviting someone who revels in division is a step backward in that effort.

The effects of Frank's visit will spread beyond our graduating class. Alumni have already voiced their displeasure to President Kerwin, and having been affected by the economic downturn, are being given another reason not to give back to AU. Who knows how many parents of future AU students will have to tell their children they can't afford tuition anymore because Frank's policies led to their homes being foreclosed? And who knows what message this will mean for the kind of ideas AU stands for, and the kind of service AU seeks? Sadly, these questions will likely not be asked at commencement. But we do know that being in D.C. allows us the chance to hear from many inspiring leaders who have true credibility on the issues that matter to AU. From Mayor Fenty, Elie Wiesel, John Lewis and many others, AU has a plethora of options to choose from, and we would be happy to help the university seek out another speaker. In the future, we hope that AU consults students on who to speak on what is truly their day of celebration.

Sarah DeStefano, Will Haun, Jackie Lemaire, Dave Tise and other concerned graduating seniors in the School of Public Affairs