LASO event to prep youth

The Latin American Student Organization will hold the 10th anniversary Latino Youth Conference, which works to inspire Latino kids in D.C., Maryland and Virginia to continue their education by going to college.

"Essentially, we hope to inspire these kids to think about the opportunity of continuing their education," said Isel Galvan, LYC's recruitment chair and a junior in the School of Communication. "Whether it be a four-year institution, community college or a trade school, I believe that education beyond high school is extremely important for Latinos, especially when looking at high school drop-out rates and lack of Latinos in college."

The conference, which is themed "Why College? Why Me? Why Now?," will feature several different guest speakers and workshops designed to help students who are considering receiving their college education.

"[The conference] is a day-long affair, which includes workshops on financial aid, the college application process, student and career panels, as well as a keynote speaker," Galvan said. "We will also be providing a parent/counselor track in order to help the students' most valuable resources, [their] friends and family, in providing a strong support network as the student begins their college career."

This year's guest lecturers include Antonio Gutierrez, one of the original LYC organizers and an AU alumnus, Kimberly Reyes and Frances Troy, who work at Duke University and Northern Virginia Community College admissions respectively and Vanessa Rodriguez, an AU alumna who will hold a "student inspirational workshop," according to Galvan.

Other workshops will include an alumni/student panel for students to ask questions, an interactive workshop where students will work in groups and present what they have learned from that day at the conference, and "Sí Se Puede!," a lecture for parents and counselors about attaining a college education, she said.

The conference will take place Saturday in the Mary Graydon Center. Check-in for students will begin at 8:30 a.m.

You can reach this staff writer at atuman@theeagleonline.com.