FIDDLING FIEND - Former Nickel Creek member Sara Watkins went solo at her Saturday night performance at the 9:30 club. Former bandmate and brother Sean Watkins joined her for the performance, supporting the  melodic bluegrass from her new solo album, "Sar

Family harmonies shine through Watkins show

Sibling supports new album

At the 9:30 club on Saturday night, there was no question about why audiences love Sara Watkins. Her on-stage banter with members of her band, audience interaction and virtually flawless musicianship made for a perfect concert-going experience.

The opener, Justin Jones, juxtaposed his comedic interludes and ramblings to his wife and daughter in the balcony with his tirelessly heavy country set. There was nothing lighthearted about the music he played, but the seated audience remained attentive throughout his set - something to which he seemed unaccustomed.

Still, it was clear whom people had come to see: Watkins. Despite being accompanied by brother and fellow Nickel Creek band mate Sean, the show was clearly her own, and it was her voice and charisma that truly sparkled in the dimly lit club.

In an interview with The Eagle, Watkins described her experience touring as a solo artist for the first time. "I've gone through little stages of being overly overwhelmed and scared and, you know, going crazy super excited and then feeling all alone, but it all feels really good now . I'm very happy and excited, and it feels very right," she said.

It was that "very right" feeling that came through Saturday night as Watkins took audience requests for fiddle tunes (she settled on "Whiskey Before Breakfast") and played songs off her April 7 release, self-titled "Sara Watkins." The audience bounced to the pop-y "Too Much," swayed to the balladic "All This Time" and stomped their feet and sang along to the upbeat "Long Hot Summer Days."

If one thing stood out, it was her easy-going relationship with performing, honed through the many years she spent touring with Nickel Creek.

"I feel like I've been in school for 18 years," Watkins said. "I'm finally out in the world on my own. And, you know, anxious and nervous and excited to see what I can do."

What she can do never ceases to impress. Her skill on the fiddle and her band's skill on their respective instruments were most noticeable in the songs they improvised - all of which went off without a hitch.

Notable, too, was the show's sense of musical history. Watkins played songs not only by Tom Waits and Jon Brion, but also bluegrass king Jimmie Rodgers and the great Bob Dylan.

The most resounding moments, though, were her duets with Sean. Their voices meld perfectly, and while Sean truly let his sister be the star, his support was invaluable. He, too, played some new material of his own, giving fans a peek into what might appear on a new album for the guitar virtuoso.

The show concluded with a long encore and thankfully so, as the voracious fans could not be appeased. It was clear that everyone would have stayed as long as Watkins was willing to put bow to violin or let her sweet, steady voice ring out.

Between her musicianship and stage presence, Watkins is sure to have a long, successful career no matter how long Nickel Creek remains in the background - and it's no secret how she makes fans fall in love with her over and over again.

You can reach this staff writer mwasilczuk@theeagleonline.com.