Too close to call

The final 10 seconds included a blocked shot by Jordan Nichols on sophomore guard G.W. Boon and a final missed buzzer beater by Bucknell University's sophomore guard Darryl Shazier to conclude, a frantic and exciting two-point, 52-50 AU victory over Bucknell on Wednesday night. The win improves AU's record to 8-1 in the Patriot League and 16-7 overall.

The Eagles struggled early, falling behind 11-6 in the first four minutes, allowing Bucknell to score five points from the free throws thanks to early foul trouble.

The offensive flow went back and forth throughout the entire first half, with the Eagles overtaking the Bison just over one minute before the break on a three-pointer by senior guard Derrick Mercer. His second from beyond the arc in the half was part of a 10-0 AU run to give the Eagles a 28-23 lead at halftime.

AU continued their strong run in the second half as well, extending their lead up to double digits, at 36-26, for the first time.

However, the Bison climbed right back, holding AU scoreless for over three minutes as they went on an 8-0 run of their own to shave the lead down to two, 36-34.

The game continued to be close over the closing minutes of the game, with neither able to take firm control until the final buzzer gave AU the two-point victory.

Mercer finished with a game-high 17 points and a game-high 9 rebounds, while Carr scored 13 points of his own.

The win improves the Eagles' league record to 8-1, their best record ever in the Patriot League and their best conference record since their 11-0 start in the East Coast Conference during the 1980-81 campaign.

The Eagles return home Saturday to take on the Colgate University Red Raiders. The game will be broadcast nationally on ESPNU and will tip off at 1 p.m.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.