AU's construction secrets

If AU's administration would let students in on the overall plan behind the seemingly endless construction, they could diffuse anger.

In recent years, the university has embarked on a construction binge as it expanded the Kogod School of Business, renovated the bridge and front steps of Mary Graydon Center and began construction on a new School of International Service building. It is not these projects that are troublesome; in fact, many students will agree that the renovations have added a nice new aesthetic to campus. But despite the visual appeal, students have many questions about the myriad of construction projects around campus. The AU administration needs to be more transparent about this construction and let students know about and participate in our school's important financial decisions.

We are not asking for construction at AU to stop. It is important that the school continues to improve and expand. It is important to both future students' and to current students' eventual diplomas - the greater the profile of the school, the greater worth of our diplomas. We are simply asking to be involved in the decision-making process, if even at the lowest levels.

In order to better inform the student body, the administration could set up town hall style meetings where students had the opportunity to both listen and learn the eventual plans for construction on campus. Any confusion, misconceptions or anger felt by students who feel marginalized by a university that doesn't consult its students could be obviated by such a simple solution.

The recent construction on the new bridge to MGC and Butler Pavilion would have been a perfect opportunity for the AU administration to let students in on their closely guarded construction secrets. As of now, there is only one small poster outside the bookstore explaining the necessity of a canopy-cover over the bridge. There needs to be more.

Students are rightfully confused as to why thousands of dollars are being spent covering an area that never needed to be covered before. What changed? Why not spend the money renovating the entrance to Hurst or anything else on campus that could use a little sprucing up? These are questions that have answers.

What students want to know is whether or not there is an overarching plan to all of this renovation. It is not a difficult question and could be answered quickly and simply if only the university cared to do so. Until the administration chooses to do so, students will remain confused and annoyed by the continuous construction on campus.