AU students keep Founders' Day traditions

This week is Founders' Week at AU, a long-standing tradition of events, culminating at the end of the week with the popular Founders' Day Ball on Saturday. The theme of this year's Founders' Week is "Founded at AU," because the aim of the week is to celebrate AU traditions, according to Ben Schorr, the events coordinator for Student Government.

"The purpose of this week is to get people involved," according to Schorr. "I'm trying to make new traditions that will last," he said. "Founders' Day Ball is the tradition that carries through year-to-year ... and this year's ball will be the highest attended ball ever."

The Eagle previously reported that 600 tickets were originally available for the Ball, but the AU SG reopened ticket sales Saturday morning to those on the waitlist as well as 100 extra tickets. Schorr said at a SG meeting that 10 of the extra tickets went unsold. Nevertheless, the total number of tickets sold is 880.

"That's the highest ever to attend any [AU] event," Schorr said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.

Monday, Feb. 16 "AU Involved in the D.C. Community" 7 p.m. WHERE: MGC 4 INFO: AU students can come to the Mary Graydon Center Monday evening for refreshments and talks on the issues surrounding aid and immigration in the United States. The speakers will include the Executive Director of Just Neighbors and the Vice President of the Immigration Bar Association.

"Eagles Supporting the Arts" 8:15 p.m. WHERE: MGC, Wechsler Theater INFO: The African Student Organization (ASO), the Black Student Alliance (BSA), Caribbean Circle, the AU chapter of the NAACP, the School of Communication and Concerned Black Men will jointly sponsor a showing of the documentary "The Neo African Americans" as part of Founders' Week.

Tuesday, Feb. 17 American Forum: "Washington Watchdogs: An Endangered Species?" 6:30-8 p.m. WHERE: MGC 3, 4 and 5 INFO: WAMU 88.5 will broadcast a discussion with other broadcasting stations, including NBC News, on the softening of the Washington watchdogs' journalistic bite and what this means for local and national newspapers.

"Ideas into Action, Action into Service" 7 p.m. WHERE: Ward 1 INFO: Women Empowered Against Violence and Women's Initiative will discuss the ways AU students can provide service in the D.C. community. Refreshments will be provided.

Wednesday, Feb. 18 "Eagles B'Ballin" 7 p.m. WHERE: Bender Arena INFO: The women's basketball team will face Colgate University at home.

"As American as Apple Pie" 10 p.m. WHERE: The Tavern INFO: Eagle Nights presents a showing of "American Pie" over pie and ice cream in the Tavern Wednesday evening.

Thursday, Feb. 19 "AU is Green" 7 p.m. WHERE: Battelle-Tompkins Atrium INFO: Eco-Sense will discuss what AU has done to begin "going green."

"AU Vagina Monologues" 8 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge INFO: Women's Initiative presents the first of three performances of the group's traditional "Vagina Monologues." According to the Founders' Week Poster, "you'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll fall in love with vaginas all over again!"

Friday, Feb. 20 "AU Vagina Monologues" 8 p.m. WHERE: McDowell Formal Lounge

"ACAPALOOZA: AU does A cappella for Service" 8:30 p.m. WHERE: Kay Spiritual Life Center INFO: A cappella groups will perform Friday as part of Founders' Week. The revenue from the concert will be donated to charity for children's education.

Saturday, Feb. 21 "Eagles B'Ballin" 2 p.m. WHERE: Bender Arena INFO: AU men's basketball will face the College of the Holy Cross, the Eagles' Patriot League rival, in Bender Saturday.

"An American Affair" 8 p.m.-midnight WHERE: Andrew W. Mellon Auditorium INFO: The most popular installment of the long-standing AU tradition of Founders' Day Week will take place next Saturday evening. Busses will begin running continuously to and from the event at 7:30 p.m.