'Push' comic introduces movie

Tie-in features predictable action plot

In today's capitalist society, no big movie comes out without a plethora of tie-ins, from action figures to lunch boxes to comic books, particularly if the film is of the superpowers-and-costumes variety. "Push," starring Chris Evans and Dakota Fanning, premieres Feb. 6, so Wildstorm/DC Comics is eager to milk it for every penny it's worth by pushing a comic book miniseries of the same name.

The first issue, written by Adam Freeman and Marc Bernardin and drawn by Bruno Redondo, weaves a compelling, if not predictable, tale of covert metahumans working for a clandestine government agency simply called Division. The comic, which takes place in 1986, combines nearly flawless art, good visuals and impressive action with a decent plot. Though average, "Push" nevertheless feels like it is trying too hard. It is not gritty enough to be considered an adult comic book but is without the humor and wonderment that mark the very best mainstream comics.

"Push" the comic appears to be best read as a precursor to the movie. The comic provides useful background information to the film, hammering out exactly what "Division" is and introducing Carver, the villain of the film, played by Djimon Hounsou. Readers get a basic run-through of most of the powers one can see in film: "Pushers" are able to enter the minds of others and control their actions; "Movers" possess telekinesis; "Watchers" can see the future; "Bleeders" emit high-pitched screams able to rupture blood vessels; "Changers" mimic the appearance of others and "Sniffs" are psychic bloodhounds. The basic functions and limitations of all of these powers are evident in the comic book, along with obvious hints at what they might mean for the movie.

"Push," directed by Paul McGuigan, promises to be full of action and the adventurous wonderment of being able to move objects and bend wills on a whim. While badly typecast in the action-adventure/superhero genre, Chris Evans is nevertheless a solid pick for Nick Gant, the telekinetic bad boy partner to the rising star of Dakota Fanning as precognitive Cassie Holmes. Audiences are promised spectacular battles of special effect-induced powers duking it out for freedom, justice and the fate of mankind. On the run from Division, which wants to use them as living weapons, Nick and Cassie search for Kira, an incredibly powerful psychic they hope will aide them in their fight against Division.

Surprises can happen, but chances are "Push" will lean entirely on its visuals which, while certain to be impressive, are likely to tell a story audiences can get an accurate feel for from merely watching the trailer. Then again, rarely do people watch such films for the story; more often it is to witness power beyond anything they could imagine coursing through their hands, played out on the screen with more than enough explosions and gunfights to sate their lust for violence.

You can reach this staff writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.