No. 3 Cannon, No. 12 Borshoff lead wrestling

No. 3 redshirt junior 174-pound class Mike Cannon and No. 12 junior 149-pound class Kyle Borshoff helped pace the AU wrestling team to a 3-1 duel record over the weekend. The team defeated the U.S. Naval Academy on Friday before beating Clarion University and Gardner-Webb University at the Indiana Duels Sunday.

In the match against Navy, Cannon scored an early second period win by fall with 3:44 remaining in his match.

However, while Cannon's victory was impressive, it was the only AU victory in the opening matches, finding the team down 14-6 midway through the duel.

After winning three of the next four weight classes, Borshoff's comeback 5-3 victory over No. 5 Bryce Saddoris sealed the win for the Eagles. Other AU victories came from graduate student Quinton Pruett in the heavyweight class, freshman Thomas Williams in the 125-pound class and sophomore Matt Mariacher in the 141-pound class.

Cannon and Borshoff were also instrumental in the Eagles' success at the Indiana Duels, as each wrestler went a perfect 3-0 over the tournament.

In the first match against Clarion, the Eagles were able to take a slim 21-18 victory, as Pruett broke an 18-18 tie in the final match of the bout to give AU the three-point win.

The Eagles would not be as fortunate in the second match against the hosting Hoosiers, falling by the final score of 23-11. Mariacher, Borshoff, Cannon and Pruett were the only Eagles to come away with individual wins against Indiana University.

AU rebounded in the final match of the day, taking home a strong 37-9 win over Gardner-Webb. Seven Eagles came away with individual wins in the match, with Williams in the 125-pound class and freshman Patrick Graham in the 157-pound class recording their first wins of the day during the bout.

The Eagles return to the mat at 1 p.m. this Sunday, when they host conference opponent Columbia University at the second-annual Bender Takedown.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.