EMERGENCY RESPONSE - MPD, DCFD and Public Safety respond late Saturday to a fight in MGC. Police estimate 500 to 600 people were present at the time of the incident.

Fight breaks out in MGC

A fight broke out Saturday night in Mary Graydon Center at a Kappa Alpha Psi fundraiser. Public Safety, the Metropolitan Police Department and the D.C. Fire Department responded shortly after midnight Sunday.

The disturbance was caused because of overcapacity in the Tavern. Additionally, "patrons in the venue started several fights," according to an e-mail from Public Safety Chief Michael McNair.

"Police officials [estimated] the inside crowd as 500 and outside at 600," he said. "The event sponsors projected 350."

Both AU and Howard University students were present at the fundraiser.

Over 10 MPD vehicles were seen on campus.

McNair said Public Safety officers used pepper spray once "on a group of patrons who continued to fight after being ordered to cease and desist." One person required transport for intoxication.

An unknown individual activated the MGC fire alarm, though it was unclear if officials pulled the alarm on purpose, witnesses said.

Public Safety and MPD made no arrests. An investigation will be conducted this week and "appropriate action" will be taken to prevent an incident like this happening on campus again, according to McNair.

Minor damage to the Tavern area included a hole in the wall and a broken flat screen television bracket, McNair said.

Emergency vehicles began leaving the scene shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday morning. Large groups of students were seen roaming the campus after the event was broken up. MGC reopened at 7 a.m. Sunday, McNair said.

Updated 1/18/09 at 6:40 p.m.

Check back for further updates.