Students debate drinking age

Wisconsin, the only state in the United States that does not have a minimum drinking age, is starting to feel pressure from groups in favor of alcohol regulation. AU students have mixed views about state-regulated minimum drinking ages.

Minors can drink alcohol in Wisconsin bars and restaurants if an accompanying parent or legal guardian gives consent, according to The New York Times. While the state has no laws that set a minimum drinking age, bartenders can use their discretion in deciding whom they serve.

The lack of a drinking age restriction comes from Wisconsin's history of having a huge brewing industry, the Times reported.

Wisconsin has among the highest incidence of drunken driving deaths in the United States, according to the Times. People in Wisconsin are more likely than people elsewhere to drive drunk, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health.

The All-Wisconsin Alcohol Risk Education, the largest and most active advocacy group pushing for tougher alcohol laws, screening for alcohol abuse and greater awareness of drinking problems, according to the Times. The University of Wisconsin's School of Medicine and Public Health started the group.

Jon Sender, director of Federal Relations and Strategic Communications at the University of Wisconsin's School of Medicine and Public Health, said the lack of a drinking age in the state has led to many more problems dealing with arrests and deaths due to alcohol consumption.

"Wisconsin has three times the national arrest rate for liquor law violations," Sender said.

While more than half of other states experienced decreases in deaths due to alcohol consumption in 2006 and 2007, Wisconsin's alcohol impaired driving fatalities increased by 2 percent in 2006 and 2007.

Drinking is a problem in Wisconsin and young people are not helping the state's image, Sender said.

"In 2005, underage drinkers consumed 16.8 percent of all alcohol sold in Wisconsin, totaling $488 million in sales," he said. "In fact, since the government began measuring these statistics, Wisconsin has always led the nation in binge drinking."

"Our goal is to dramatically change the laws, culture and behaviors in Wisconsin so that we become one of the best, rather than worst, states in the nation in regards to alcohol abuse," Sender said.

Justin Woods, a freshman in the School of Communication, said he likes the idea of a more lenient drinking age since it introduces young people to alcohol in a safe way.

"I think it's great that parents can drink with their children since it is important that parents introduce their kids to alcohol in healthy way," he said.

Natalie Brown, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she strongly dislikes the policy in Wisconsin and believes kids can't handle the effects of alcohol at a young age regardless of parental consent.

"I think in today's society, children are not allowed to be children and that we, as a nation, underestimate the maturity of this age group. I don't feel as though they mentally, emotionally and physically can handle what comes along with drinking and its effects," she said.

You can reach this writer at news@theeagleonline.com.