MILKING IT - James Franco (left) stars across from Sean Penn in the upcoming film "Milk." Franco plays the partner of Harvey Milk, a famous gay activist and first openly gay man to hold public office. Franco says he enjoys acting in dramas as much as the

Franco's star rises with 'Milk'

Actor shows versatility of roles, genres

He's played everything from a stoner drug dealer to a 10th-century lover to a Hollywood icon. He's one of those actors whose name you can't necessarily place but whose face you immediately recognize. James Franco - perhaps best known for his role as Harry Osborn, Peter Parker's best friend in "Spider-Man" - discussed his newest film and his career during a phone interview with The Eagle.

Franco has been in the movie business for nearly a decade. Though he started out in teen comedies like "Never Been Kissed" and "Whatever It Takes," Franco first found critical success in the Emmy-winning but short-lived television series "Freaks and Geeks." Since then, Franco has garnered a varied résumé that has included a Golden Globe-winning turn in the titular role for "James Dean," as well as a supporting actor in the "Spider-Man" franchise.

After the success of this summer's "Pineapple Express" and the critical buzz surrounding the upcoming release of "Milk," it's hard to deny Franco's rising star status.

Recently named GQ's 2008 "Screen Idol of the Year," Franco's next film, "Milk," is already garnering critical acclaim and Oscar talk. The movie is based on the life story of Harvey Milk (played by Sean Penn), the first openly gay man to be elected to public office. Franco plays Scott Smith, Milk's most serious boyfriend and longest lasting relationship.

Franco had some apprehension about his love scenes with Penn but insisted it was like kissing anyone else and this role was like any other job.

"It's not like I was like, 'Hey Sean, we should practice that love scene. In my hotel room,'" Franco said. "It's just a part of the job."

The recent passage of Proposition 8 in California, which bans people from marrying someone of the same gender, has helped highlight the social and political relevance of "Milk." Some articles have speculated about whether or not an earlier release of "Milk" would have changed the results of the vote.

Because "Milk" details events of a similar political action in the 1970s to today's Proposition 8, it may have helped to sway the vote a little, Franco said. However, because of its limited and rolling release in theaters, the film would had to have been released in the late summer to reach general audiences in time for the November election, he said.

With the exception of the 2008 summer comedy hit "Pineapple Express," Franco is usually seen in dramatic roles like "Annapolis" and "James Dean." Though he honed his comedy chops on the set of 1999's "Freaks and Geeks," Franco insists the show didn't seem like a comedy at the time.

"I think it was more of an instance of these dramatic characters being put in comedic situations more so than the show itself actually being a comedy," he said.

Though lauded for his hilarious performance in "Pineapple Express," Franco said both comedic and dramatic movies have different advantages.

"With 'Pineapple Express,' it was like having fun on the set with your best friends everyday," he said.

"Pineapple Express" was the third teaming of Franco with his old friend Seth Rogen, as well as with current comedic directing phenomenon Judd Apatow, who directed Franco in "Freaks and Geeks" and in a cameo bit in "Knocked Up." The camaraderie of the trio is quite evident in Franco's enthusiasm when talking about the Apatow crew.

"I would do a movie with those guys again in a second," he said.

Franco is certainly one to watch out for in the months to come. He has already written and directed three of his own movies and recently graduated from the University of California, Los Angeles, with a degree in English.

Franco is now currently attending both Columbia University and New York University for graduate school while he continues to promote and film for his current movies.

You can reach this writer at thescene@theeagleonline.com.