Field hockey splits last two games

The AU Eagles' field hockey team finished its season strong with four victories and one loss in its last five games after it beat Lehigh University 6-0 Friday and lost 5-2 to 10th ranked Princeton University on Sunday.

The Eagles dominated conference play, finishing the season 5-0 in the Patriot League and outscoring its Patriot League opponents 19-1.

Outside of conference play, the Eagles faced tough competition such as nationally ranked No. 2 University of Maryland, College Park, No. 3 Duke University and No. 6 Syracuse University. The team finished 5-7 outside of league play and 10-7 overall - good enough for No. 19 in the nation.

In its final league game Friday against Lehigh, six different players scored for the Eagles. Senior attacker Irene Schickhardt, the team's leading scorer with 10 goals, initiated the Eagles' attack when she scored in the first three minutes of the game.

Sophomore midfielders Anne van Erp and Kirstin Gebhart quickly followed Schickhardt's lead by rocketing two goals past Lehigh sophomore goalie Lilia Stefaniwsky to finish up the first half.

Junior forward Savannah Graybill scored her fifth goal of the season in the second half, while senior defender Natalie Ellenberger and freshman forward Allison Baron finished off the Eagles' barrage of goals in the final 10 minutes of the game. Baron's goal was the first of her Eagle career.

When they faced Princeton, the top team in the Ivy League, the Eagles found themselves up against a more formidable foe. After falling behind 1-0 after only a minute of play, junior forward Emily Stovicek put the Eagles on the board in the 26th minute. Senior midfielder Megan Henry scored her first goal of the season to give the Eagles a sturdy lead heading into the second half.

Princeton entered the field in the second half with the goal on the back of their mind as they squelched the Eagles' defense with four unanswered goals. By the time Princeton's fifth and final goal hit the back of the goal with one minute left in regulation, the Eagles' attack could not answer.

Despite the five goals from Princeton, Eagle junior goaltender Alyssa Poorman, who was recently named the Eastern College Athletic Conference goalie of the week, led the Eagles backfield with 13 saves combined against Lehigh and Princeton.

The Patriot League playoffs begin Friday. The Eagles will have home field advantage as they look to win their sixth consecutive league crown.

You can reach this staff writer at sflynn@theeagleonline.com.