EYES FORWARD - No. 3 senior guard Derrick Mercer leads the charge upcourt in the Eagles recent victory over St. Francis.  Mercer had 10 points to help the Eagles defeat Jacksonville on Saturday, 75-67.

AU men's basketball takes third in a row

Senior guard Garrison Carr and senior forward Brian Gilmore combined for 42 points as the AU men's basketball team won their third straight game, defeating Jacksonville University on the road 75-67. The win improves the Eagles' record to 3-1 on the young season.

The Eagles came off the opening tip red hot, using a Carr three-pointer to initiate a quick 8-0 run before pushing that lead to 12 points at 18-6 midway through the first half.

The Dolphins cut AU's lead back down to nine at 19-10 on a layup by junior forward Lehmon Colbert with 7:20 remaining but this would be as close as Jacksonville would get throughout the rest of the half.

Senior forward Jordan Nichols responded with a bucket of his own only seconds later, putting the Eagles up again by double digits, a lead they would keep heading into the locker room at halftime, up 31-20.

The two teams traded baskets early in the second-half, with AU continuing to hold a healthy advantage throughout the period.

The Eagles started to pull away and take firm control of the game with six minutes remaining, going on a 13-5 run initiated by a three-pointer by Carr and capped by another bucket from beyond the arc by Gilmore to put the Eagles up 17 at 65-48, their largest lead of the game.

The Dolphins remained strong and whittled the lead back down to eight in the closing seconds, but it was not enough to prevent an eight point AU victory.

Carr was the game's high scorer, tallying 24 points on eight of 15 shooting, including six of nine from three-point territory.

Gilmore and senior guard Derrick Mercer also scored in double-digits for the Eagles, scoring 18 and 10 points, respectively, in the win.

The Eagles will continue their early season road trip at 7 p.m. Tuesday, when they travel to Stony Brook University to take on the Seawolves.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.