Women's soccer's losing streak ends

The AU women's soccer team ended their seven-game scoreless drought in dramatic fashion over the weekend as they defeated Lehigh University 1-0 Friday afternoon before tallying three goals in a 3-0 victory over Lafayette College Sunday. The two wins improved the Eagles' record to 2-1-0 in the Patriot League and 5-9-1 overall.

After failing to score a single goal in their previous seven matches, the Eagles came into the game against the Mountain Hawks ready to break that streak.

Both teams started out strong on offense, as Lehigh got the first great scoring opportunity of the half when a free kick by junior midfielder Liz Carlos went just over the crossbar in the fourth minute.

This was the only potential for scoring during the first half of play, as neither team was able to find the back of the net, keeping the game scoreless into halftime.

The Eagles turned up the offensive pressure in the second half, with junior midfielder Kelsey Brasher taking a shot on goal that snuck just wide of the target in the 46th minute.

AU controlled throughout the half. Their efforts were finally rewarded in the 83rd minute, when Brooke Sheppard controlled a loose ball in front of the net and put it home to give the Eagles the 1-0 victory, the first goal they had scored in 795 minutes of play.

"The goal was absolutely vital," AU head coach David Bucciero said. "It really got the monkey off of our back."

The Eagles used this momentum to carry into their second game of the weekend against Lafayette Sunday afternoon.

After 30 minutes of back and forth play between the two teams, senior forward Krystn Hodge was able to take the ball through a pack of Leopards defenders and put the ball in the net to give the Eagles a 1-0 advantage in the 34th minute, a lead they would take into halftime.

The second-half of play proved to be just as strong for the Eagles, as they tacked two more goals onto their lead.

After a beautiful run by Brasher down the right side of the field, her cross found Sheppard in the middle of the box for the goal in the 50th minute to give the Eagles a 2-0 lead.

Less than 20 minutes later, Brasher broke down the left side and unloaded a shot that made its way past Lafayette sophomore goaltender Brittany Futterknecht to give the Eagles their eventual 3-0 victory.

"We have been playing better in the last 3 to 4 games, being better in the offensive third of the field," Bucciero said.

The Eagles look to continue their modest two-game winning streak when they travel to Annapolis, Md., at 7 p.m. Friday to take on the U.S. Naval Academy.

You can reach this staff writer at jhall@theeagleonline.com.