Thicke grooves on third album

Robin Thicke "Something Else" (Interscope) Sounds like: A danceable and soulful mix of 1970s instrumentals with smooth R&B vocals.

The 1970s are back in full force with the release of Robin Thicke's new album, "Something Else." Soulful vocals and tunes ranging from pure R&B ballads to disco-infused dance numbers comprise its 11 tracks.

"Tie My Hands," featuring Lil' Wayne, is the standout track of the album. With lyrics influenced by Hurricane Katrina, the song's subtle yet mellow guitar licks enhance the solemn tone of the song. Lil' Wayne's low, smooth rhymes mesh well with Thicke's own mellow verses and chorus.

The charming and danceable "Sidestep" is one of Thicke's catchiest songs. The Heavy drumbeats are reminiscent of the disco era and play heavily on its catchy, foot tapping and head-nodding beat to attract its audience.

The song "Dreamworld" is Thicke at his best. With a steady beat, riffing jazz organs and soulful piano, this song can only be described as "baby makin' music."

Songs like "You're My Baby," "Ms. Harmony" and "Loverman" are reminiscent of Thicke's immensely popular track "Lost Without U" from his second album, "The Evolution of Robin Thicke." He sticks to the formula he knows and does best, and combines his impressive, soulful falsetto with beat-infused ballads.

Though most of "Something Else" is well done, "Shadow of Doubt" is the weakest song on the album. It has the potential to be a fun, grooving song but falls short of such expectations. Thicke's random talk-singing combined with portions of falsetto over a piano and horns sounds like a confused attempt at an uplifting anthem.

"Something Else" is overall a great follow-up to Thicke's wildly successful "The Evolution of Robin Thicke." He maintains his unique vocals and new branding of old music without seeming cliché, a difficult task for many of his peers. Thicke's "Something Else" is catchy, innovative and available Tuesday in stores everywhere.

-CAITLIN E. MOORE